Acquia is the open-source digital experience company. We provide the world's most ambitious brands with technology (built around Drupal) that allows them to embrace innovation and create customer moments that matter. At Acquia, we believe in the power of community and collaboration - giving our customers the freedom to build tomorrow on their terms. Headquartered in the U.S., we have been named as one of North America’s fastest-growing software companies as reported by Deloitte and Inc. Magazine, and have been rated a leader by the analyst community and named one of the Best Places to Work by the Boston Business Journal. We are Acquia. We are building for the future of the web, and we want you to be a part of it.
Acquia runs one of the world's largest Platform as a Service (PaaS) offerings. Our Drupal optimized cloud runs on over 18,000 AWS instances and delivers billions of page views per month, running some of the largest and most mission-critical websites in the world. We are seeking exceptional professionals who desire to deliver world-class performance and reliability while building powerful tools that enable our customers effortlessly to scale their web applications. At Acquia, we are obsessive about providing our customers with security, availability, and scalability that is second to none and are looking for engineers who are equally passionate.
Acquia is seeking a Senior Software Engineer who can help lead our efforts to revolutionize the way we build, test, operate and monitor our cloud-based products and services.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the implementation and adoption of Kubernetes as a service across Acquia. You will work with your fellow Platform engineers, Product Engineering, Operations, and Customer Success teams to identify opportunities to harness the power of containerized infrastructure and then propose and lead the implementation with your team.
Acquia’s products run 100% on Amazon Web Services using EC2, CloudFormation, and various other technologies and best practices. Since each product is built and maintained by its own engineering team, the ideal candidate for this position would need to be proactive in familiarizing themselves with those services and have the ability to coordinate and collaborate with multiple teams.
- Participate in solutions for modernizing Acquia infrastructure and drive adoption of Kubernetes and Cloud-Native Technologies
- Design and implement end-to-end container management solution with Kubernetes, Docker
- Set up Kubernetes as a platform with enterprise-level reliability, availability, scalability and performance requirements
- Support engineering teams to design and implement application prototypes, using modern application development practices and open source emerging technologies, covering domains like microservices, API management, web-scale architectures
- Design distributed network and security policies (including RBAC) for effective management of applications on the Kubernetes Platform
- Build distributed microservice systems, building in features like a Service Mesh using technologies like Envoy, Linkerd, Istio, gRPC/ProtoBuf
- Debug technical issues inside a very deep and complex technical stack involving containers, microservices, AWS services across the different layers of a web stack (Edge, Data, etc.)
- Contribute as part of a larger team to maintain a deep understanding of system functionality and architecture, with a primary focus on the operational aspects of the service (availability, performance, change management, emergency response, capacity planning, etc)
- Evaluate new technologies and provide a recommendation to management including planning and execution of proof of concept activities.
- Over 5 years of experience in design and Software Development Background and over 4 years of experience in working with Containers and Cloud-Native Development
- Proficient with Kubernetes/Swarm architecture with hands-on production experience with container technologies and the tools and challenges around them
- Proficient with service discovery, networking in Kubernetes or equivalent, monitoring, logging, scheduling
- Experience in container architecture, docker engine, runtime, container orchestration, and microservice patterns
- Experience working with AWS services such as - EC2, EBS, ALB, ECS, EKS, VPC, S3
- Knowledge of CI/CD tools like Jenkins (preferred), Bamboo, Gitlab
- Experience working with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Puppet and Cloudformation
- Strong knowledge on the network layers and SSL/TLS basics
- Experience with distributed System Management/tracking and monitoring such as ELK Stack, Prometheus
- Knowledge of messaging queues like Amazon MQ (preferred) or Kafka/RabbitMQ, etc
- Experience in developing applications using programming languages such as Python (preferred), PHP, Ruby and shell scripting
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong team collaboration and leadership skills
- Familiarity with Agile processes (Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
Good to have: Experience working with
- helm- package manager
- signal-fx agent
- spot-termination handler
- Prometheus and Grafana
- BS in Computer Science (preferred), or a comparable field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Certification in AWS would be a plus
- CKA Professional certification would be plus
Acquia is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. We hire without regard to age, color, disability, gender (including gender identity), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.