Digital Designer - Website Design Systems
Acquia Professional Services
Acquia is transforming the digital strategies of companies all over the world with our open cloud platform. We are passionate and relentlessly committed to helping our clients create digital experiences that are more relevant, personalised, and built for a fast-changing, always-connected, mobile-first world.
Headquartered in Boston with our EMEA head office in Reading, UK and further European offices in Brighton, Paris, Munich and Ghent, we have been named as one of the world’s fastest growing software companies and have been rated a leader by the analyst community.
Acquia provides both an open cloud digital experience platform and professional services to enterprise customers. A recent acquisition of Cohesion, a UK based low-code platform for building enterprise grade websites at scale has opened new opportunities for Acquia to provide design consultancy and design services.
We’re looking for an exceptional front end developer (a.k.a. digital designer) with expertise in design systems for the creation of enterprise websites at scale.
You will be part of a new internal design team within Acquia professional services who create design systems for our customers and partners. As part of this team you will be responsible for design pattern recognition, pattern inventory creation, component and template design, design documentation, and design system implementation using Acquia’s low-code products.
As a Digital Designer at Acquia, you will...
- Be an advocate for design systems within Acquia, providing an authoritative voice to other designers, engineers and product managers about best practice approaches.
- Work as part of a dynamic team to design cohesive and scalable website design systems in an efficient manner.
- Create and maintain design specifications and documentation.
- Provide critical evaluation of our customers’ existing design systems to ensure they meet the requirements of the platform and integrate seamlessly with Acquia products.
- Work onsite with customers and partners to understand their design system requirements, initiate design discussions and run whiteboarding sessions. Some overseas travel may be required.
- Work with Acquia solutions architects to plan and integrate design system requirements into the wider project requirements.
- Work in design sprints, fitting in, or running in parallel with development sprints.
- Help evolve our design systems, design tools, and design documentation.
We’re looking for collaborative people who have...
- An exceptional eye for identifying common design patterns and an expert understanding of how to implement them into design systems.
- A solid understanding of content management systems (Drupal 8 an advantage), with empathy for content authors and marketers who use them for content creation.
- The ability to think creatively, strategically, and technically to ensure design systems meet business and technical requirements.
- Strong user experience and user interface design.
- Command of color, typography, visual hierarchy, and vertical rhythm.
- Deep understanding of responsive design patterns.
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS and responsive layout approaches.
- Experience applying accessibility best practices.
- The ability to use data and user research to inform design decisions.
- A strong understanding of information architecture.
- Experience working in the full lifecycle of Lean/Agile delivery models.
- Expert knowledge of design tools such as Sketch, Axure, InVision.
- Able to lead or contribute to design systems documentation and design guidelines.
- 4+ years of digital/website design experience in an agency or enterprise.
- Bachelor's degree in a design related discipline preferred.
- A portfolio of relevant work is required for consideration. It should illustrate your involvement and how you contributed to solving specific problems.
You’ll enjoy this role if you...
- Are passionate about design, design trends, and scalable design through the power of design systems.
- Continually seek to understand the capabilities and constraints of the systems and platforms with which you work..
- While you enjoy design strategy, you're a “do-er” who’s happiest working on UI and UX details, design patterns and components.
- You have naturally good aesthetic taste and are confident in your craft.
- Take pride in the work you deliver and pay tremendous attention to details.
- Go the extra mile to deliver high quality work on time.
- Enjoy working as part of a design team and working with design processes that help your team work effectively.
- Have a professional and positive approach, are self-motivated, strong in building relationships, are a dynamic and creative team player but also have the ability to work on your own initiative.
- Very competitive salary from the world’s largest player in the Drupal space.
- Private health insurance including pre-existing conditions.
- Private dental plan.
- 1:1 matched pension contributions.