Acquia is transforming the digital strategies of companies all over the world with our open cloud platform. We are passionate and relentlessly committed to helping our clients create digital experiences that are more relevant, personalized, and built for a fast-changing, always-connected, mobile-first world.
Headquartered in Boston with our EMEA Head office in Reading, UK and further European offices in Brighton, Paris, Munich, and Ghent, we have been named as one of the world’s fastest growing software companies and have been rated a leader by the analyst community.
Acquia provides both an open cloud digital experience platform and professional services to enterprise customers. A recent acquisition of Cohesion, a UK based low-code platform for building enterprise-grade websites at scale has opened new opportunities for Acquia to provide design consultancy and design services.
We’re looking for a Design Leader with expertise in design systems for the creation of enterprise websites at scale. You will use your knowledge and experience to fulfill two main objectives:
- Provide design consultation to our partners and customers. This will include critical evaluation of their existing design systems, design leadership on the development of new design systems and detailed guidance on the implementation of design systems using Acquia Cohesion. The objective is to ensure customers and partners produce and implement design systems that will scale when used for enterprise, multi-brand website platforms.
- Build and lead an internal design team within Acquia professional services to create design systems for our customers and partners. The team will be responsible for business analysis and design pattern recognition, pattern inventory creation, system design and implementation using Acquia products.
As the Design Leader, you will...
- Be an advocate for design systems within Acquia, providing an authoritative voice to our customers, partners, designers, engineers and product managers about best practice approaches.
- Work with our customers and partners to ensure their design systems meet the requirements of the platform and integrate seamlessly with Acquia products.
- Work virtually and sometimes onsite with customers and partners to understand their design system requirements, initiate design discussions, provide leadership on design approach and run whiteboarding sessions.
- Work with Acquia solutions architects to plan and integrate design system requirements into the wider project requirements.
- Plan and lead design sprints, fitting in, or running in parallel with development sprints.
- Recruit and lead a small team of designers to create, maintain and evolve our design systems, design tools, and design documentation.
- Own our design systems via hands-on designing (as a “do-er”) and direction (as a “leader” sharing your view and vision).
- Your team will design cohesive and scalable website design systems in an efficient manner and maintain design specifications and documentation.
What you'll need...
- A portfolio of relevant work. It should illustrate your involvement and how you contributed to solving specific problems.
- An exceptional eye for identifying common design patterns and an expert understanding of how to implement them into design systems.
- A solid understanding of content management systems (Drupal 8 an advantage), with empathy for content authors and marketers who use them for content creation.
- The creatively, strategic, and technical acumen to ensure designs systems meet business and technical requirements.
- Strong user experience and user interface design.
- Command of color, typography, visual hierarchy, and vertical rhythm.
- Deep understanding of responsive design patterns.
- Working knowledge of HTML/CSS and responsive layout approaches.
- Experience applying accessibility best practices.
- Able to use data and user research to inform design decisions.
- Strong understanding of information architecture.
- Able to communicate and present complex design thinking visually and verbally.
- Experience of presenting to and effectively advising senior management.
- Experience working in the full lifecycle of Lean/Agile delivery model.
- Expert knowledge of design tools such as Sketch, Axure, InVision.
- The ability to lead or contribute to design systems documentation and design guidelines.
- 6+ years of digital/website design experience in an agency or enterprise.
- 2+ years of management experience.
- Bachelor's degree in a design-related discipline preferred.
You'll enjoy this role if you...
- Continually seek to understand the capabilities and constraints of the systems and platforms with which you’ll be working.
- Enjoy design thinking and leadership, but are also happy working on UI details or design patterns. You’re willing to get hands-on and excited to roll up your sleeves and get things done as part of a team.
- Have a naturally good aesthetic taste and are confident in your craft.
- Take pride in the work delivered and tremendous attention to detail.
- Go the extra mile to deliver high-quality work on time.
- Enjoy mentoring designers and can communicate your design process in a way that helps your teamwork effectively.
- Professional and positive approach, self-motivated, strong in building relationships, team player, dynamic, creative with the ability to work on own initiative.
- Very competitive salary from the world’s largest player in the Drupal space
- Private health insurance including pre-existing conditions
- Private dental plan
- 1:1 matched pension contributions
Acquia is an equal opportunity (EEO) employer. We hire without regard to age, colour, disability, gender (including gender identity), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.