Director, Technical Project Management | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
This position is responsible for managing technical projects for all enterprise and customer facing products. A successful candidate for this role will have strong project management and organization skills to complement their technical skills. You will work with a team of senior level managers and highly technical engineers to lead complex projects. The role will primarily engage with the Product, Design and Engineering teams, understand and document their needs and will project manage sprints and overall release of products into production.
- Excellent knowledge of Agile process and methodologies, including SCRUM and Kanban.
- Ability to track developer progress against user stories, develop burn down charts to assess sprint velocity and manage releases.
- Oversee multiple projects that might include application dependencies that will require collaboration with a matrixed software engineering team.
- Full project ownership, including the understanding of scope, planning resource needs with inputs from other stakeholders, and uncovering dependencies.
- Facilitate and manage technical projects, develop and track project milestones.
- Define and manage project schedules, dependencies and deliverables.
- Estimate work effort and manage competing priorities.
- Provide leadership to cross-functional teams by helping define clear, realistic goals; clear barriers to team progress and manage the resolution/mitigation of project risks and issues.
- Lead regular stakeholder reviews; communicate and present status and issues effectively to all levels of the organization, both verbally and in writing.
- BA/BS in a technical discipline: computer science, mathematics, statistics, engineering, physical sciences, economics, finance, business, or similar.
- 7-10 years of Technical Project Management experience for complex projects.
- Experience overseeing and developing large matrixed project management resources and teams.
- Proven expertise in SDLC, change and project management methodologies, concepts, practices, procedures and standards.
- Technical Project Management experience in an Agile environment.
- Demonstrated expertise with the Atlassian suite of products (Jira, Confluence)
- Ability to take high level information and turn it into solidified detailed plans that drive results.
- Strong written and verbal communication, with ability to communicate to executives, managers and engineers.
- Understand the challenges of working in distributed environment with multiple teams working on different problems.
- Publish Metrics and reports to accurately track progress of projects.
- Detail orientated with superior organizational skills.
- Previous experience shipping and iterating on successful products.
- Previous startup experience.
- Logical, conceptual and analytical thinker.
- PMP certification is required.
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches and an endless supply of snacks
- Stumptown cold brew coffee for the fearless
- Beautiful, chill office space with graffiti art
- Shiny, new MacBooks and iMacs
- Corporate gym access
- Cool, smart people and strong sense of community
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Advance our society