Engineering Director | Acorns
- Automated investing in diversified portfolios, built with help from experts.
- Easy retirement account that allows customers to invest in their future in minutes, no expertise required.
- Banking that invests with every swipe, allows you to invest from each paycheck, and helps customers get paid up to 2 days early
- Investment account for kids, multiple kids included
- Investment bonuses from brands where you shop
- Money news and education on-the-go
Acorns is seeking a technically experienced Engineering Director to help guide and grow a multidisciplinary Engineering team. In this role, you will manage a technical organization while collaborating across multiple different product areas to ensure delivery, innovation, scale, and the best possible experience for all users.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine or New York offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionate about Acorns' mission, vision, and values, please apply.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee and manage a first-class engineering organization; Help build career ladders, steer cross-team events, and build an inclusive technology workforce
- Develop and drive the technical and organizational strategy and roadmap in partnership with Product and core leadership
- Own key decisions on architecture and implementation of scalable, reliable, and cost-effective engineering
- Consistently review and refine team productivity, agile processes, and identify solutions for team effectiveness and efficiency
- Cultivate a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters collaboration, open communication, and delivering outcomes
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 10+ years of relevant engineering experience in fast-paced environments
- 4+ years of managing software engineering teams
- Strategic experience with IOS, Android, and REACT web clients and integration with distributed cloud microservices
- Experience in Ruby on Rails, Typescript/Node.js, Java, .NET microservices or cloud-based architectures a plus
- 4+ years experience managing agile development teams, Including with distributed teams
- Experience with RESTful API's
- Experience in cloud-native environments such as AWS, GCP, or Azure
- Track record of meeting schedules on time; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully manage a team of talented developers
- Exceptional analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience desired
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way