Engineering Manager | Acorns
- Automated investing in diversified portfolios, built with help from experts.
- Easy retirement account that allows customers to invest in their future in minutes, no expertise required.
- Banking that invests with every swipe, allows you to invest from each paycheck, and helps customers get paid up to 2 days early
- Investment account for kids, multiple kids included
- Investment bonuses from brands where you shop
- Money news and education on-the-go
Acorns is seeking a technically experienced Engineering Manager to help guide and grow our Engineering team.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a first-class engineering team that will scale as the company and business grows, identifying and filling any team gaps.
- Develop a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters collaboration, open communication and delivering outcomes.
- Be responsible for team output and hands on day-to-day writing and reviewing code.
- Constantly improve team productivity, refine agile processes, and create methods to increase efficiency.
- Experience in test-driven development, functional test development and performance test harnesses where applicable
- Perform personnel management tasks for a team of developers, including performance reviews, mentoring, and planning each direct report's career growth.
- Train new software engineers on our best practices, standards, culture, and policies.
- Encourage active participation in all phases of the project lifecycle, and work with product and project management to define and hone requirements, remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders.
- Contribute towards strategic architecture, best practices, and innovation
- Demonstrate personal ownership of all team execution and delivery
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 8+ years of relevant engineering experience in fast paced environments
- 4+ years of managing software engineering teams
- Strategic experience with IOS, Android and REACT web clients and integration with distributed cloud micro services
- Experience in Ruby on Rails, Typescript/Node.js, Java/Kotlin, .NET micro services or cloud based architectures a plus
- 4+ years experience managing agile development teams, Including with distributed teams
- Experience with RESTful API's
- Experience in cloud-native environments such as AWS, GCP or Azure
- Track record of meeting schedules on time; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully manage a team of talented developers
- Exceptional analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience desired
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way