Senior Software Engineer (Data) | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a financial wellness system that enables everyday Americans to save and invest every day. We are transforming the category and recruiting a team that is relentless at fulfilling our mission. The Acorns team comes together every day to deliver a revolutionary product to its customers, the up-and-coming. If you thrive in an environment where you can push yourself beyond all previous thresholds of possibility, come join us at Acorns.
Acorns is currently seeking a highly-motivated, detail-oriented, and motivated Software Engineer. This position will reside in the Engineering group, which serves as the central development team for the company. The Data team is responsible for delivering world-class Analytics capabilities to serve millions of up-and-coming Acorns customers by streamlining and optimizing data processes on user behavior and complex financial data. In this role, you will be a vital component to the success of our Engineering, Analytics, and Data Science teams. This is a full-time, direct hire position, working regular hours, located in Irvine, CA.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine or New York offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Interface with various part of business, Products, Project Management, and Leadership
- Be familiarized with toolsets and environments, given proper access to execute tasks
- Understand data landscape and data flow and processes
- Fix or enhance production data pipelines
Within 6 months, you will:
- Work with the engineering management team to align, establish and promote engineering-wide priorities, including new features, infrastructure, and tool building
- Optimize performance of business-critical data process and identify and resolve data process issues
- Design and develop new data pipeline for ingesting, integrating various heterogeneous data sources with high quality
- Assist Data Science to integrate algorithms into a production environment
- Assess level of effort on a project and deliver with internal and external teams
- Propose and promote new way to solve a problem to gain efficiency and to scale
Within 12 months, you will:
- Contribute and execute on Acorns Data Roadmap
- Author, propose and execute technical initiatives
- Lead mid-level individual contributors and deliver mid to large initiatives by working with other teams within and outside of engineering organization
- Lead setting standards and best practices for a growing engineering organization
- Define career path opportunities for development
What you will bring to Acorns:
- BA/BS from top-tier university
- 5+ years of Java/Scala/Python experience
- 3+ years of software engineering experience in an internet-facing solution and building data pipeline for Analytic and Data Science
- Object oriented fundamentals (OOA, OOP, OOD) and functional programming
- Advanced understanding of SQL and database/data warehouse design concepts
- Setting standards and best practices for a growing engineering organization
- Experience with Test Driven Development
- Understand advanced algorithms and data structures
- Experience building API services
- Experience with AWS, Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka or Kinesis
- Experience in building high-performance, reliable and scalable services
- Experience providing technical and thought mentoring for an engineering team and advising/mentoring other engineers.
- Ability to work effectively on multiple projects with demanding deadlines in a team environment
- Experience in Agile Methodology
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way