Director of Risk Management | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
As Director of Risk Management, you will establish the Risk Management function for Acorns. You will be responsible for creating a scalable strategy to identify and mitigate risks associated with the Acorns investment and deposit products. You will recruit and lead a talented team of Risk professional that aligns with the Acorns mission of looking after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Build relationships with key stakeholders within Acorns
- Gain deep knowledge about the Acorns product lines
- Establish Risk Management operating principles
- Understand the work needed to achieve the departmental objective
- Create job descriptions for your team and begin recruiting in partnership with our HR team
- Understand the Acorns culture and how to integrate the discipline of Risk Management into to fabric of the company
Within 6 months, you will:
- Identify risks with respect to money movement in and out of Acorns investment and deposit products
- Assess and evaluate risks and implement processes and procedures to ensure that Acorns and its customers are fully prepared to deal with any potential threats.
- Established core standard operating processes and procedures
- Define daily, weekly, monthly KPIs
- Fully staff team
- Develop Risk department roadmap
- Forecast for all key targets and team growth
- Work across Invest and Spend business units to drive key P&L metrics
Within 12 months, you will:
- Key member of leadership team
- Meaningful contribution to reducing cost
- Culture of risk based decision making instilled
What you will bring to Acorns:
- BS in Business, Finance, Math, or other technical field of study
- 5-7 years in an analytical/risk job preferably at a financial institution
- Proficiency in SQL and experience with massive relational database systems
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Driven to learn fast, be creative, and win as a team
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- Corporate gym access.
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks.
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns.
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering, proud step of micro-investing.
2. Make bold decisions
3. Always build trust
4. Never stop growing
5. Advance our society