Sr. Software Engineer (Java/Scala) | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
Acorns is actively seeking a highly-motivated, detail-oriented, and driven Software Engineer. This position will reside in the Engineering group, which serves as the central development team for the company. The team is responsible for developing mobile and web applications and addressing any issues or IT changes that must be addressed to maintain proper functionality of our investor user applications. In this role you will be a vital component to the success of our Engineering team. This is a full-time, direct hire position, working regular hours, located in Irvine, CA.
- Architect, design, and code new features and enhancements of a complex financial platform
- Mentor junior engineers
- Participate in setting standards and best practices for a growing engineering organization
- Assist data scientist to integrate machine learning algorithms into a production environment
- 3+ years of Java or Scala experience
- 5+ years of software engineering experience in an internet facing solution
- You have worked on and maintained a large project for a significant amount of time
- Experience with Test Driven Development and evangelistic about testing
- Understanding basic algorithms and data structures
- Experience building API services
- Object oriented fundamentals (OOA, OOP, OOD)
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark
- Strong experience in building high-performance, reliable and scalable services
- Experience in Agile Methodology
- Familiarity with functional programming languages and concepts
- Financial Institution/FinTech experience
- Contribution to Open Source project(s)
- Experience with Finagle/Finatra or similar
- Advanced understanding of SQL and database design concepts
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Corporate gym access
- Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
2. Make bold decisions
3. Always build trust
4. Never stop growing
5. Advance our society