The American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of Northern California (ACLU NorCal) seeks a Communications Administrative Assistant.
You are a bright, positive, and dependable administrative professional. You will keep a constant pulse on your team’s operations and work strategically on projects and events that will allow your managers and team members to do their best work. You never miss a detail and are capable of remaining focused and solution-oriented. You enjoy juggling diverse responsibilities, taking initiative on new projects and working as a team player.
The Communications Administrative Assistant ensures that the Communications Director and the rest of the Communications team have top-notch administrative support so they can thrive and do their best work, and helps ensure that the department functions smoothly overall.
About the Organization
ACLU NorCal is an affiliate of a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights. For most of the last century, it has been at the heart of many major – and sometimes controversial – struggles for civil liberties and civil rights in our state. Our mission is to ensure that Constitutional rights don’t just exist on paper, but are protected in practice. Facing new and ongoing threats to civil rights and civil liberties, we remain dedicated to confronting these issues and defending the progress we have made. We must use our decades of experience in impact litigation, legislative advocacy, and fearless organizing to fight unfair and illegal policies and to protect our most cherished rights and freedoms.
Duties & Responsibilities
Report directly to the Communications Director to provide support, including, but not limited to:
- Manage the department editorial calendar and assist with scheduling/calendaring as needed
- Assist Director with making travel arrangements and assist with travel arrangements for Communications Department Retreat and other events
- Create and maintain filing systems
- Attend and take notes at the monthly department meetings and as needed for other meetings
- Process expense reimbursements, check requests, invoices, lobbying reports, etc.
- Planning and staffing meetings and events
- Provide logistical support for online meetings and presentations, using technology such as Zoom, GoToMeetings, and Skype for Business
- Track and organize vendor contracts
- Research, organize and prepare information for Communications Director’s use in meetings, presentations, and reports.
- Assist with other projects and events as needed.
- Organize and track publications and photography files.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience:
- No educational requirement.
- Previous administrative or executive assistant or similar relevant experience required; at least three years in a fast-paced setting.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Experience in coordinating and organizing logistics and travel arrangements meetings, events, and trainings.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience and excellence in drafting professional content for external communications.
- Ability to think proactively, anticipate problems, analyze situations, develop effective solutions, and take initiative to facilitate the smooth operations and schedules.
- Adapt to changing circumstances.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization to the public as well as interface with all levels of staff and volunteers while maintaining tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
- Excellent judgment at all times and especially when dealing with sensitive issues/situations.
- Physical ability to set-up, staff, and clean-up from meetings and events, including moving chairs and tables, and carrying boxes and equipment.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, stay organized, and complete assignments with attention to detail under deadlines.
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Must be available for occasional weekend and evening responsibilities.
- Must be available for occasional travel.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
- Commitment to racial and social justice and overall equity.
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Zoom, and Skype for Business).
- Confident with technology and willing to learn how to use Salesforce database and online tools.
Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation in addition to 14 office holidays; employer paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff members, their dependents and spouse or domestic partner; life and long-term disability insurance; and, 401(k) plan with employer match. Starting salary is $26.47 to $30.89 per hour.
Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled. Applications must include, (1) cover letter, (2) resume, (3) a writing sample, and (4) a list of three references. Applicants concurrently applying to any other position with the ACLU should state what other position they are applying for in the cover letter.
The ACLU-NC is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU of Northern California advances equity and inclusion in the workplace by providing equal employment opportunity to support a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (over 40), sexual orientation, military and veteran status, arrest or conviction record, and any other basis prohibited by law. The organization also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. This equal employment opportunity policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, selection, advancement, training, problem resolution, and separation from employment. Through this policy, the ACLU-NC strives to establish and maintain an equitable and accessible work environment that is supportive and free from discrimination.