SUMMER 2020 UNDERGRADUATE INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION
The Digital, Tech & Analytics Department of the National ACLU Social Media Team has openings for undergraduate internships in New York.
For 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, advancing racial justice, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties and civil rights cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than one million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, and record of arrest or conviction.
Interns on our social media team help us maximize our bandwidth to maintain an ideal posting cadence across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Instagram Story, Reddit, and YouTube; they make it possible for us to create and execute new methods of engaging with our audience while maintaining the internal analytics and reporting schedule that keeps us on the same page with other arms of the ACLU.
- Time Commitment: The internship requires a full-time commitment of 35 hours per week.
- Internship Duration: Internships are a 10-week period. Summer interns are expected to start on June 1 or June 22
- Stipend: A stipend is available for those students who do not receive outside funding and/or course credit. Arrangements can be made with educational institutions for work/study or course credit.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Daily analytics tracking
- Copywriting and scheduling
- Answering direct messages and elevating customer support needs as required
- Gently letting us know when a meme isn't cool :)
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Interns should possess the following:
- Strong copywriting skills
- Attention to detail
- Regular use of Instagram and Twitter
- A commitment to civil liberties, civil rights, and social justice.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
This posting provides a general but not comprehensive list of the opportunities of the internship. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the posting at any time without advance notice.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.