ABOUT THE JOB
The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Senior Product Manager in the Product & Technology Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY or Remote*.
The ACLU’s Product & Technology team partners with departments across the ACLU in order to build and maintain innovative, robust and secure digital products and technical systems that accelerate the ACLU’s mission as our nationwide guardian of rights and liberties. We are a team of engineers, designers, product managers and administrators who take pride in creating technical solutions that help raise money, get our message out in the world, mobilize our supporters and manage our data with integrity.
Reporting to the Head of Product, the Senior Product Manager works collaboratively with leadership and tech team members to drive product development for user-facing products, services and platforms. The Product Manager will play a leading role in building products to reach and engage constituents such that the ACLU’s fundraising, advocacy, engagement and communications needs are best met. This is core to the ACLU’s growth plans in the digital space.
*Note: this position may be approved for remote work from a different U.S. location
- Own and drive the growth-focused product roadmap for internal and external facing growth products and features that help the ACLU “stay fit to fight” through fundraising and list-building initiatives
- Build strong relationships with stakeholders in Analytics, Development, Digital, Salesforce Support, and Data Governance to understand their department-specific needs, prioritize goals, and build a strategy for each product that is in-line with the organization’s goals and priorities
- Manage timely updates and communications about the various projects and workstreams for the Growth Pod, adopting the best format and channel for different stakeholder or user groups
- Collaborate with Digital and Development colleagues to identify new opportunities for innovation and improvements to the website experiences that optimize conversion, esp. revenue and list-building
- Work closely with stakeholders to explore and identify product requirements for projects added to the tech team’s roadmap. Be able to define lean minimally viable products (MVPs) that solve real problems and have measurable success metrics
- Work closely with leadership to justify product roadmap decisions and overall product strategy choices. Iterate and make changes to strategy and roadmap when data or landscape changes require so
- Help establish product-driven success metrics for projects you lead. Report back on these success metrics and convene conversations so that all members of the team understand how products are performing and what that means for the broader roadmap
- Collaborate closely with product designers, engineers, and SMEs to explore problem areas and ensure designed solutions best solve well-defined problems. Have good experience facilitating an inclusive product development process to ideate and execute in a healthy fashion
- Identify research priorities with the product design team ensure qualitative research practices can consistently used for product discovery and product validation
- Work with the Analytics team to understand how products are performing and where further optimizations are needed. Iterate on the product roadmap for your area of ownership to ensure analytics-driven insights are being acted on
- Be a great storyteller! Be comfortable presenting roadmaps, product requirements, usage analysis and more to leadership, team members, stakeholders and others in order to help them understand the power of product-driven development
- Model product leadership skills in order to solve problems and empower colleagues to deliver higher quality work
In addition to:
- Engage in special projects and other duties as assigned
- Center principles of equity, inclusion, and belonging in all work, embedding the values in program development, policy application, and organizational practices and processes
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Has experience in launching successful digital products, including shaping and driving strategies for internal and external users
- Has experience working on cross-functional product teams of engineers, designers and analysts to ideate, build and deploy digital products
- Strong experience writing product briefs and/or specs in order to define requirements for the design and engineering phases of product development
- Fluency with creating different product artifacts tailored for different purposes and audiences (e.g., product one-pagers, product requirements docs (PRDs), vendor RFPs, proposals and presentations, etc.)
- Clear experience with A/B testing including writing experiment briefs, synthesizing testing results, and incorporating testing into active product roadmaps
- Demonstrably strong customer and stakeholder empathy including using this empathy to ask questions and build solutions that address explicitly defined needs
- An ability to work with varied stakeholders to propose, prioritize, and select projects and to create product roadmaps
- Strong customer and stakeholder empathy, which manifests in thoughtful partnership that results in building high-quality products that solve explicitly defined needs
- Commitment to addressing digital security, accessibility, and privacy issues
- Familiarity with CRMs and data management
- Familiarity with growth funnels, engagement ladders, and other digital marketing frameworks
- Experience working with or managing technical vendors
- Experience with common product design practices (wireframing, user research, design-driven testing, etc.)
- Strong understanding of digital security, accessibility, and privacy issues
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills and the ability to make decisions and implement projects in a team-oriented environment
- Experience in nonprofit or campaign fundraising, education, advocacy or rapid-response environments strongly preferred
The ACLU values equity, transparency, and clarity in pay. Consistent with the ACLU’s compensation philosophy, there is a set salary for this role. The annual salary for this position is $143,943 (Level E), reflective of a position based in New York, NY, where our National offices are headquartered. This salary will be subject to a locality adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting.
ABOUT THE ACLU
The ACLU dares to create a more perfect union – beyond one person, party, or side. Our mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.
For over 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ+ community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values of the ACLU and central to our work to advance liberty, equality, and justice for all. We are a community committed to learning and growth, humility and grace, transparency and accountability. We believe in a collective responsibility to create a culture of belonging for all people within our organization – one that respects and embraces difference; treats everyone equitably; and empowers our colleagues to do the best work possible. We are as committed to anti-oppression and anti-racism internally as we are externally. Because whether we’re in the courts or in the office, we believe ‘We the People’ means all of us.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are all strongly encouraged to apply.
The ACLU makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.