The American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana (ACLU-LA) seeks a leader who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment to join our dynamic team as a Finance & Operations Director. The Finance & Operations Director is a member of ACLU-LA’s leadership team and will report to the Executive Director. In addition, the Finance & Operations Director will manage a variety of nonprofit financial management functions, oversee administrative tasks, and work closely with the Executive Director to set and execute strategy.
ACLU-LA, the state affiliate of the national American Civil Liberties Union, is a private, non-profit, non-partisan public interest organization dedicated to defending and advancing civil liberties and civil rights through advocacy, coalition-building, litigation, legislative, community mobilization, and public education.
The Finance & Operations Director is a new senior level position serving as the primary staff person responsible for financial management, human resources, operations, technology, and administration. This individual will collaborate and consult with peers at the ACLU of Louisiana affiliate and the national ACLU.
The Finance & Operations Director ensures that the organization has the structure and resources necessary to achieve its vision. The Director will help operationalize the Affiliate’s culture by creating systems and controls that will ensure efficiency and accuracy around the Affiliate’s critical finance, human resources, IT, operations, and administrative needs. The Finance & Operations Director also participates in setting organizational goals and priorities and developing and managing the Affiliate’s budget. The Finance and Operations Director reports to the Executive Director (ED).
The key duties for fulfilling the job’s purpose include:
Budgeting and Financial Management
- Prepare annual budget and oversee finances
- Maintain and administer accounting system
- Prepare timely financial reports, including budget variances and reserve balances
- Maintain internal financial control safeguards
- Ensure all funds are spent according to restrictions
- Ensure timely and accurate accounting of lobbying hours are reported under the 501(c)(3)(h) IRS definition of lobbying.
- Coordinate with the Finance Committee to report data timely, align with national ACLU, standardize process flows, provide input to team members, and gain an understanding of financial data required by stakeholders
- Process payroll on a bimonthly basis
- Process 401(K) contributions and other administrative 401(k) activities
- Ensure timely and accurate lobbying reports are submitted to FPPC and ensure compliance with all other state and federal laws related to nonprofit organizations, lobbying, and political activity
- Ensure that an annual audit of finances is conducted with an outside accounting firm
- Provide oversight of any other areas of compliance for the organization
- Ensure necessary levels of insurance, address issues of risk, and act as primary contact for insurance providers
- Provide oversight and leadership with the coordination of full range of HR needs including, training and development for all staff, talent management, policy development, and employee relations
- Support ED with equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging goals
- Provide updates and benchmarks to ensure staff meet their annual and strategic goals
- Serve as the primary contact with external human resources vendor
Operations and IT
- Develop best-in-class operations, logistics, and compliance
- Work with ED to develop financial and operational strategy
- Ensure that the ACLU of Louisiana office and any remote employees have the administrative and operational resources needed to carry out their work
- Collaborate with ED to establish operating benchmarks, program monitoring, and reporting standards on an ad-hoc, monthly, and annual basis
- Develop and implement internal processes
- Develop and oversee risk management program to identify and remediate potential threats to ACLU of Louisiana
- Provide oversight and maintenance of the organization’s overall IT systems, hardware and software, working with contractors, specialists, and service providers
- Develop, deliver and maintain proper vendor governance, operational sourcing strategies and relationships
- Monitor vendor performance based upon SLAs and KPIs
- Provide oversight of the ACLU of Louisiana leasing, including relations with landlord, facilities issues, etc.
- Supervise the maintenance of all contracts, insurance policies, and professional registrations
- Serve as primary contact for vendors, auditor, bookkeepers, and other contractors and specialists
- Provide oversight and supervision of the Office Manager and Human Resources Independent Contractor
- Analyze and report on operational and administrative data and systems
- Other duties as assigned to support the Executive Director, Board of Directors
- 5+ years of previous experience in the financial management of a nonprofit, supervisory experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting, Business, or related field
- Experience managing organizational budgets
- Ability to anticipate problems, analyze situations, develop effective solutions, and take initiative to facilitate smooth operations and schedules for various staff members and members of the Board of Directors
- Proven knowledge of regulatory standards, including GAAP, 501c3 and 501c4 rules.
- Experience in administration and human resources preferred, especially in a fast-paced environment
- Good understanding of employee benefits including FSA, HRA, and 401(k).
- Demonstrated experience applying principles of equity, diversity, and inclusion in previous work, especially in applying those principles to organizational management and administration
- Understanding of legal work/environment a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to represent the organization to the public as well as interface with staff, Board members, vendors, and contractors while maintaining tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality
- Strong verbal, written, and listening communication skills with proven experience and excellence in drafting professional correspondence
- Experience in ensuring smooth hiring and onboarding processes for new employees and members of the Board of Directors
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems including Quick Books, Quick Books Online, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams, and Zoom.
Compensation and Benefits
Excellent benefits include two weeks paid vacation, 15 office holidays; medical, vision, and dental insurance, a health reimbursement arrangement, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance; and 401(k) plan with employer match.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Bamboo HR
The ACLU of Louisiana is an equal opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. The ACLU of Louisiana is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.