The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota is looking for a Digital Communications Associate to join our Communications team. The Digital Communications Associate will work with the Communications Director to help develop strategic and coordinated digital media plans to amplify the legislative, legal and community advocacy work of the ACLU, and to attract, engage and mobilize members, donors, supporters, volunteers, and the public.
You are a creative self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment with the ability to easily balance multiple projects coming at you while meeting tight deadlines and staying focused on the details that matter. You work well under pressure and are professional at all times with strong oral and written communication skills. You love social media, are excited about emerging technology and think tinkering with websites is a joy. You have a keen idea for design and delight in creating fierce and powerful graphics. You’re thrilled with the idea of engaging and growing diverse audiences to mobilize to protect and expand civil liberties. You are committed to racial and social justice and treat every person with whom you work with dignity and respect, while actively working to foster an equitable, collaborative, and inclusive experience for staff, other partners in our work and the larger community.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The ACLU of Minnesota is an affiliate of the national ACLU. Founded in 1952, the ACLU-MN works to protect and promote the civil liberties and civil rights of all Minnesotans through litigation, lobbying, and community engagement. The ACLU of Minnesota is non-partisan, defending the civil liberties of everyone, regardless of their politics.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage ACLU-MN’s Digital Media:
- Build web traffic, email, and social media audience engagement and growth through impactful, rapid-response digital communications strategies, as well as help design and implement full communications plans
- Manage and create digital content in collaboration with the Communications Director, including graphics, short videos, and digital ads across social media and web platforms
- Write, edit, and schedule social posts using social media management programs; create and maintain a content calendar
- Create social media graphics, toolkits, and microsites
- Assist with engaging with online followers, communities and allies
- Monitor breaking news coverage and respond effectively on appropriate platforms
- Maintain and update the ACLU of Minnesota’s website using a content management system such as Drupal
- Produce HTML emails and web landing pages for action alerts, events, news updates, and other forms
- Track, analyze, and report on social media metrics, email engagement, and web traffic
- Stay on top of emerging social media trends
Be the point person for graphic design:
- Design and produce eye-catching digital graphics, infographics and other assets
- Design/layout published materials such as newsletters, reports, pamphlets, signs, fliers, postcards and more using Adobe Design Suite and Canva
- Design and order swag and maintain inventory
Support the communications department:
- Serve as backup on media outreach, event coverage, and writing emails, blogs and calls to action as needed
- Assist with outreach opportunities and events
- Backup proofreading as needed
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
- At least two years of relevant communications experience, preferably with an advocacy-oriented nonprofit
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to plan
- Flexibility to juggle multiple projects and to push everything aside when big breaking news occurs such as court rulings
- Ability to translate complex ideas into understandable and engaging messages
- Strong social media competency, particularly with Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Working knowledge of social tools such as Hootsuite, Canva, Later and Tweetdeck.
- Proficiency with Drupal or similar CMS and experience with email marketing programs
- A keen eye for design, page layout, and general presentation
- Proficiency with Adobe Design Suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- The ability to be resilient – understanding that working towards systemic change is a marathon and not a sprint, and that it often involves working with difficult subject matter
- A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor
- A commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, including racial justice and civil rights
- Willingness and availability to work occasional evenings, weekends, and/or over 40 hours per week as necessary
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Experience in the non-profit sector
- Ability to edit video
- Ability to speak and/or write in Spanish, Somali, Vietnamese, Hmong or other language spoken by a language minority in Minnesota.
Salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $42,000 - $52,000 per year. We offer excellent benefits, including health insurance, life and long-term disability insurance a 401(k) plan with employer contribution and sick, vacation, and holiday leave.
Are You Ready to Help Lead Us into the Future?
Submit a letter of interest, a resume or C.V., two professional writing samples of no more than five pages and a portfolio PDF or portfolio link showing several examples of both social media and graphic design work. Social media handles are welcome. Also, please let us know how you learned of this career opportunity.
All attachments must be in Word or .pdf format.
Applications will be accepted only until June 22. If this job sounds interesting, please apply immediately!
ACLU-MN is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACLU-MN encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction.
ACLU-MN undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that persons with disabilities have full opportunities for employment in all positions. We encourage applicants with disabilities who may need accommodations in the application process to contact: email@example.com. (Correspondence sent to this email address that is not related to requests for accommodations will not be reviewed.)