The Roger Baldwin Foundation of the ACLU of Illinois (ACLU-IL) seeks an experienced human resources professional to join our team in a newly created position: HR and Operations Manager. This position will report to the Associate Director and will manage ACLU-IL’s day-to-day Human Resources (HR) and select Operations and Information Technology (IT) functions. These efforts will further the ACLU’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB) and ensure that the organization meets regulatory and nonprofit best practices.
This position is responsible for managing and increasing the effectiveness of the organization’s Human Resources, Operations, and Information Technology functions, as well as coordination and communication with staff. The HR and Operations Manager will devote approximately 70% of their time providing HR support and 30% managing staff and consultants responsible for Operations and IT functions.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Human Resources (HR) duties:
- Refine and maintain clear, responsive, and accessible HR systems for staff.
- Manage recruitment efforts, including job postings, application review, interviews, reference checks, and offers.
- Serve as a primary point person for employee inquiries regarding human resources and policies, and participate in employee meetings and exit interviews.
- Manage staff benefits including health, dental, vision, retirement plan, and other insurance benefits.
- Manage employee payroll, and serve as the primary contact with payroll processor.
- Develop improvements as necessary to staff evaluation system, new staff orientation, on-boarding, career development program, and staff wellness and training programs.
- Identify, recommend, and implement operational improvements to streamline HR processes and incorporate best practices in management, including updating employee policies and personnel handbook.
- Prepare materials for audits, benefits renewals, annual compliance filings, and pension and retirement plan census reports.
- Ensure accuracy and confidentiality of employee records.
- Maintain knowledge of legal requirements related to HR, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Identify and work with external HR consultants and attorneys on special projects as needed.
- Coordinate meetings with Benefits Committee.
- Supervise Office Manager.
- Update and maintain operations manuals.
Information Technology (IT) duties:
- Supervise IT consultant and Office Manager to maintain responsive and accessible IT systems for staff.
- Demonstrated experience in HR with focus on policy and benefits administration.
- Strong knowledge of human resources and policy guidelines (both legal requirements and best practices).
- Excellent interpersonal skills including conflict resolution experience and ability to work across lines of difference.
- Experience applying the principals of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in previous work.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as core values;
- Ability to think creatively and problem solve.
- Trustworthy with excellent judgement and experience exercising discretion and upholding the highest level of confidentiality.
- Organized and detail-oriented with experience managing people, multiple projects, and meeting deadlines.
Salary and benefits
The salary for the HR and Operations Manager is $80,000-$85,000. Excellent benefits include 100% employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff and eligible dependents; four weeks paid vacation; paid holidays and paid sick leave. In addition, ACLU provides a 403(b) retirement benefits plan with employer match and employer contributions, life insurance, and long-term disability insurance.
This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt, which means the position is ineligible for overtime pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Applicants should prepare:
- A resume.
- A brief (1 or 2 pages) example of a time when you led a complex Operations or HR project from inception to conclusion. Include information on how you engaged the organization's staff and what you learned from the process.
There is no need to create a cover letter.
How to apply
Visit our website: https://action.aclu.org/legal-intake/hr-and-operations-manager
The ACLU of Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, criminal record, or veteran status.