ABOUT THE JOB
The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Digital Producer in the Digital Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY.
The ACLU’s Digital team focuses on growing our existing audiences and acquiring new audiences by smartly using digital channels to reach and inspire them to take action. We create rich and compelling written, multimedia, and graphic design content that are used in key email, texting, social, merchandise, and paid media programs that help raise money, get our message out into the world, and mobilize existing and new supporters.
The Digital Producer reports to the Associate Director, Digital Production. The Digital Production team owns a content publishing system that efficiently and effectively drives engagement with ACLU digital properties, including the national website, affiliate websites, YouTube and related digital properties. The Digital Producer plays a key role on this team by producing and publishing digital media content for ACLU platforms, assisting in project managing team output and workflow, and advocating for the needs of the publishing team and the end-users who visit these platforms by lobbying for new features and enhancements to be built. They are responsible for day-to-day content publishing, ensuring that the ACLU properties are leveraging the highest-performing content that engages and inspires our supporters and working effectively in representing affiliate and national needs on the platforms that come under the Digital Production team’s ownership. Additionally, the Digital Producer will assist special projects being handled internally or externally (via vendors). Special projects including assisting in custom creation of microsites for national or affiliate needs, rollout of new practices and programs for affiliates, and improving the way our affiliates and national staff leverage ACLU sites and systems. The Digital Producer should possess experience with HTML, CSS, Wordpress and (limited) Drupal along with basic graphic editing skills. The ideal candidate is passionate about the power and reach of web and mobile platforms; they are detail-oriented, organized, data-savvy and passionate about improving everything the ACLU does digitally.
- Owns and curates ACLU.org homepage and updates it based on rapid response moments and institutional priorities
- Publishes blog posts and other content as needed to ACLU websites including third-party platforms and affiliate sites
- Owns expertise on image usage permissions and best practices
- Manages publishing request queue from the writers and editors who create our content
- Leads the creation of documentation for CMS workflows and processes
- Devises strategies around A/B testing to maximize on-site engagement & conversion
- Acts as a partner and advisor on affiliate digital production needs
- Partners with the product & technology team to provide added support and create simple, new tech-driven solutions that improve production efficiencies
- Takes ownership of the web pub Zendesk ticket queue and independently assigns tickets to temporary digital producers as needed
- Collaborates with program staff to identify high-impact opportunities to increase the visibility of our advocacy, programmatic and legislative work in order to generate engaged web & mobile traffic, especially when it comes to affiliates and how they manage their own web properties
- Project manages new site features and functionality, working as a key stakeholder with the ACLU’s in-house product & engineering team or vendors
- Champions the growth of our email, text and social media lists by artfully pairing growth call-to-actions with the right content
- Collects metrics to determine high/low performing content and is comfortable producing regular metric reports that showcase content performance
- Leads special projects as assigned by the Associate Director, Digital Production
- Advocates for critical bug fixes, enhancements and new features to the ACLU’s digital publishing system (based on Wordpress) for national and affiliate needs
- Engage in special projects and other duties as assigned
- Center principles of equity, inclusion, and belonging in all work, embedding the values in program development, policy application, and organizational practices and processes
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Intermediate knowledge of HTML and CSS; Wordpress experience a plus
- Ability to multi-task, perform well under pressure, and meet tight deadlines are essential
- Comfort in using data to inform content strategy
- Relationship-builder, especially with affiliate and national staff who rely on the power of the publishing system and resulting website
- Basic experience with Photoshop and video editing tools preferred
- Professional experience posting content online or to social media channels is desirable
- Experience A/B testing and analyzing data
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- At least 3 years related experience preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills preferred
The annual salary for this position is $80,628 (Level I). This salary is reflective of a position based in [city, state]. This salary will be subject to a locality adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting. Note that most of the salaries listed on our job postings reflect New York, NY salaries, where our National offices are headquartered.
ABOUT THE ACLU
The ACLU dares to create a more perfect union – beyond one person, party, or side. Our mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.
For over 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ+ community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values of the ACLU and central to our work to advance liberty, equality, and justice for all. We are a community committed to learning and growth, humility and grace, transparency and accountability. We believe in a collective responsibility to create a culture of belonging for all people within our organization – one that respects and embraces difference; treats everyone equitably; and empowers our colleagues to do the best work possible. We are as committed to anti-oppression and anti-racism internally as we are externally. Because whether we’re in the courts or in the office, we believe ‘We the People’ means all of us.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are all strongly encouraged to apply.
The ACLU makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.