ABOUT THE JOB
The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Associate Director, Digital Production in the Digital Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY.
The ACLU’s Digital team focuses on growing our existing audiences and acquiring new audiences by smartly using digital channels to reach and inspire them to take action. We create rich and compelling written, multimedia, and graphic design content that are used in key email, texting, social, merchandise, and paid media programs that help raise money, get our message out into the world, and mobilize existing and new supporters.
- Proactively identify opportunities for high-impact digital content from peer teams and those in Communications, Analytics, National Political Advocacy Department, and Legal; lead members of the Digital Production team in executing tasks to leverage these opportunities and assess data to guide content development
- Manage the Digital Production team including full-time employees and contractors; serve as a great manager in advocating for their needs, giving feedback and identifying new opportunities for growth for their direct reports
- Work as the key stakeholder with the Product & Technology team to ideate on, define and test out design improvements to the publishing systems and platforms powering ACLU properties
- Take on special content-heavy projects and ideate with peer teams on the requirements, structure and goals for a project; successfully publish projects and report back on usage and impact
- Own and manage the digital production workflow including how stakeholders and content creation partners “plug in” to that workflow in order to move content pieces through all stages of production
- Work in a data-driven way by using data dashboards and testing insights to adjust and optimize content strategies; utilize experimentation and test-driven strategies to learn new tactics for digital content publishing; identify when data access is incomplete and work with the Analytics or Tech teams to fill these gaps
- Manage a training program in order to bring new internal content creators up-to-speed on the publishing system and how to follow best practices
- Liaise closely with, and possibly manage, third-party vendors and contractors who supplement the Digital Production team efforts; this includes managing budget, projects and assessing impact upon renewal of vendor contracts
- Ideate on innovative and compelling content-heavy campaigns (either written or multimedia) in order to engage supporters to take action and support the ACLU
- Support affiliates across the country to distill best practices related to content production including ACLU properties and third-party platforms; this includes organizing the team to facilitate ways to help affiliates be more self-sufficient and make it easier to consume national best practices
- Act as an in-house domain-expert when it comes to tactics related to strategic content creation and publishing
- Represent the Digital Production team across the organization in cross-team meetings and strategies; this includes reporting back to the team on organizational activities they should be aware of, giving updates on production processes, and sharing data reports that impact key objectives
- Help the Digital Production team develop content engagement tactics and strategy that increase on-site engagement and content impact; ensure these tactics are being followed
- Provide leadership and guidance to establish shared goals and publish great content projects across the ACLU and its affiliates
- Embrace audience-driven segmentation and testing in order to better define audiences and establish an audience-specific content publishing strategy; this includes liaising with peer teams (social, email, paid media) to ensure campaigns promote content in ways that line up to the desired audience
- Contribute to a culture of continuous, data-driven learning and evaluation
- Engage in special projects and other duties as assigned
- Center principles of equity, inclusion, and belonging in all work, embedding the values in program development, policy application, and organizational practices and processes
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Familiarity with a range of online production tools, tactics, and strategies
- Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong people management skills; experience leading and guiding teams of people
- Strong attention to detail, ability to write and deliver work product under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards
- Strong experience with web publishing
- Experience with multimedia publishing
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience and a minimum of three years’ experience in nonprofit communications, digital publishing, or related fields preferred
- Understanding of trends and best practices for engaging digital content preferred
- A strong desire to test and learn, this includes a comfort with failure and a desire to learn from failures in order to improve preferred
- Collaboration qualities, ability to work in a dynamic environment with a fast-paced and passionate team preferred
The annual salary for this position is $115,638 (Level F). This salary is reflective of a position based in New York, NY. This salary will be subject to a locality adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting. Note that most of the salaries listed on our job postings reflect New York, NY salaries, where our National offices are headquartered.
ABOUT THE ACLU
The ACLU dares to create a more perfect union – beyond one person, party, or side. Our mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.
For over 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ+ community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values of the ACLU and central to our work to advance liberty, equality, and justice for all. We are a community committed to learning and growth, humility and grace, transparency and accountability. We believe in a collective responsibility to create a culture of belonging for all people within our organization – one that respects and embraces difference; treats everyone equitably; and empowers our colleagues to do the best work possible. We are as committed to anti-oppression and anti-racism internally as we are externally. Because whether we’re in the courts or in the office, we believe ‘We the People’ means all of us.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are all strongly encouraged to apply.
The ACLU makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.