The Advocacy Administrative Assistant must be an organized self-starter who skillfully prioritizes and artfully juggles multiple demands of a seven-person team with sound judgement and attention to detail. They must be resourceful, timely and have the ability to proactively anticipate needs within a fast-paced environment.
The Advocacy Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support for the Advocacy team. This position is an excellent opportunity to support the ACLU of Kentucky’s policy strategists, organizers and volunteer changemakers.
- Maintains calendar for the Advocacy Director
- Coordinates team meetings including scheduling, sending reminders, building an agenda, taking notes, and assigning tasks
- Manages Advocacy team’s committee hearings schedule and legislative meetings during the legislative session including sending calendar invites, setting up meetings, sending reminders, and following up with staff to enter mtg notes.
- Coordinates logistics for meetings and statewide travel, some of which take place on nights and weekends
- Coordinates professional development scheduling, registration, travel and other logistics
- Works with Advocacy team members to handle logistics for advocate trainings
- Coordinates staff attendance to community events, sponsorships, submits invoices and check requests etc.
- Assist Communications team with administrative needs as they relate to Advocacy, particularly during the legislative session and during targeted campaigns.
- Answers phones; responds to general inquiries, and directs mail, phone and email messages to the appropriate Advocacy team member
- Coordinates with Executive Administrator to maintain Advocacy team office equipment and supplies
- Manages internal community space scheduling for the team
- Maintains stock of up-to-date public education materials and promotional materials
- Manages file storage and archiving procedures to ensure compliance with records retention and confidentiality guidelines
- Acts as a liaison for the Advocacy team to the Executive Administrator on Human Resources issues such as:
- Up-to-date timesheets
- Legislative ethics compliance
- Monthly data collection of the Advocacy team’s work
- Reimbursements, stipends, and honorariums
- Benefits needs
- Helping on-board new, and off-board departing, Advocacy team members
- Acts as a liaison for the Advocacy Team to the Executive Administrator on Information Technology issues
- Assists Advocacy team staff with installing and training on company-wide systems
- Assists Advocacy team staff with day-to-day troubleshooting of technology
- Helps Executive Administrator investigate new software and technology solutions for Advocacy Team needs.
- Maintains general cleanliness and appearance of office.
General Staff Responsibilities:
- Attends ACLU-KY functions as requested
- Other tasks as assigned by the Advocacy Director
- Critical Thinking: Able to retain detailed instructions and carry them out in a uniform and accurate way. Capacity to acquire, under supervision, the ability to solve routine challenges of processing work requests in one’s area of assignment.
- Decision Making: Supports goals/tasks of the Advocacy program; manage discreet projects as assigned; may exercise some level of discretion.
- Organization: Excellent time management and organizational skills. Successful candidates should have the ability to manage their own workflow in a fast‐paced, deadline driven environment while coordinating with multiple other department members.
- Strong communication skills with strong interpersonal aptitude.
- Ability to anticipate administrative needs and tasks.
- Management: Does not manage other staff.
- Ability to think proactively, anticipate problems, analyze situations, develop effective solutions, and take initiative to facilitate the smooth operations and schedules for the Advocacy team.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to coordinate and organize logistics and travel arrangements meetings, events, and trainings.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, stay organized, and complete assignments under deadlines.
- Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
- Understanding of, and passion for, ACLU mission. Strong commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging.
This position is based in Louisville and will require periodic travel to Frankfort; *Due to the coronavirus pandemic, we are currently working remotely.
The ACLU welcomes talented people to our team and in return offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package including paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, pension plan, life and long-term disability insurance and generous paid holidays. The salary for this position will be $47,136.
How to Apply
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Advocacy Administrative Assistant" in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- Please let us know how you learned about this job opening in your email to email@example.com
All materials must be sent by 5PM EDT, Wednesday, June 2, 2021.
The ACLU of Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Kentucky encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, criminal history, and veteran status.