ABOUT THE JOB
- Develop content plans in partnership with audience strategy leads in the Development Department and external marketing partners
- Collaborate with development, communications, legal, and digital teams to source and package stories, copy, and visual collateral that are pre-cleared for fundraising use for low and mid dollar audiences
- Develop and write engaging appeals and collateral materials to establish and retain long-term partnerships with planned gift donors
- Use donor insights and performance data to develop, test, and refine donor storytelling and branded content
- Continuously define and innovate ACLU donor messaging—for instance, in the context of an emerging civil liberties crisis or a priority fundraising campaign
- Recruit and cultivate relationships with outside vendors, with a particular focus on copy and design, and oversee their work from assignment to execution
- Consistently set and achieve equity outcomes and performance measures in the role
- Engage in special projects and other duties as assigned
- Center principles of equity, inclusion, and belonging in all work, embedding the values in program development, policy application, and organizational practices and processes
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Proven track record copywriting for a wide cross-section of audiences at a nonprofit, political campaign, agency, or corporation
- Ability to translate complex ideas into cohesive, consumer-facing copy that gets to the heart of a story
- Experience developing and measuring creative content that drives action
- Ability to effectively give and receive feedback at various stages of the writing process
- Strong project management skills, including adherence to deadlines and ability to manage multiple projects
- Willingness to travel as needed
- A track record of developing consumer-facing content that has grown revenue, acquisition, and/or retention goals is preferred
- Experience managing external vendors and partners is preferred
The annual salary for this position is $115,638 (Level F). This salary is reflective of a position based in New York, NY. This salary will be subject to a locality adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting. Note that most of the salaries listed on our job postings reflect New York, NY salaries, where our National offices are headquartered.
ABOUT THE ACLU
The ACLU dares to create a more perfect union – beyond one person, party, or side. Our mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.
For over 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ+ community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are core values of the ACLU and central to our work to advance liberty, equality, and justice for all. We are a community committed to learning and growth, humility and grace, transparency and accountability. We believe in a collective responsibility to create a culture of belonging for all people within our organization – one that respects and embraces difference; treats everyone equitably; and empowers our colleagues to do the best work possible. We are as committed to anti-oppression and anti-racism internally as we are externally. Because whether we’re in the courts or in the office, we believe ‘We the People’ means all of us.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex people; women; people with disabilities, protected veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are all strongly encouraged to apply.
The ACLU makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.