Human Resources, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Manager
Terms of Employment:
New York Civil Liberties Union, 1 Whitehall Street, NY, NY 10004 (Remote position for an extended period of time due to COVID-19)
Subject to the NYCLU’s salary scale and commensurate with experience and qualifications ($80,000-$110,000)
Applications will be considered until the position is filled
The New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) is one of the nation's leading advocates on behalf of constitutional rights and liberties. Founded in 1951, as the New York affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union, the NYCLU is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization with more than 180,000 members and supporters, and eight offices statewide. We work in the courts, in the legislatures and on the streets to advocate for racial and economic justice, free speech, freedom of religion, privacy and equality before the law for all New Yorkers. For more information, please visit our website: www.nyclu.org.
DEI VISION STATMENT
The NYCLU affirmatively values the humanity and contributions of those we work with, inside and outside of the organization; and will take action to build and sustain an equitable, anti-racist culture that centers the voices and experiences of marginalized and directly impacted people and communities, and an organizational environment where all people feel valued, trusted, and respected. We are committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve and actively recruit people of color, women, people with disabilities, formerly incarcerated people, and LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people
The Human Resources, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Manager (“HR DEI Manager”) will focus on implementing and coordinating the Human Resources activities outlined in a DEI strategic plan (the “plan”) developed by the NYCLU management team. This includes devising and refining HR policies, processes, and programs for the organization as described in the plan, and monitoring the plan’s overall implementation, including tracking that the NYCLU management team is meeting the plan’s key performance indicators (KPIs) on a timely basis. The ideal candidate will have a breadth of knowledge in human resources and DEI. This position requires a strong multi-tasker with the proven ability to implement best practices and policies.
The candidate will be highly organized, with meticulous attention to detail. They are a thoughtful team player who values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance, and they actively work to foster an equitable and inclusive experience for everyone in their work.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implements and coordinates the Human Resources activities outlined in the DEI strategic plan (the “plan”) developed by the NYCLU management team.
- Devises and refines HR DEI policies, processes, and programs for the organization as described in the plan.
- Monitors the plan’s overall implementation and tracks the plan’s key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Assists in researching, developing, and executing creative strategies to foster the organization’s DEI goals, including programming that creates a culture of belonging.
- Reviews current HR practices and policies, to assess the extent to which they support or hinder the NYCLU’s DEI goals.
- Develops and/or acquires training to aid in implementation of the NYCLU’s DEI goals.
- Acts as organization liaison with government agencies concerning affirmative action and equal employment opportunities.
- Maintains knowledge of DEI- and belonging-related issues, legislation, and best practices.
- Provides training and policy updates to colleagues, ensuring legal compliance of management and human resources staff.
- Supports the administration of the organization’s staff performance evaluation program to ensure effectiveness, compliance, and equity within the organization.
- Helps meet and grow the organizational and Human Resources equity goals.
- Collaborates with organizational leadership on employee compensation and benefits policies.
- Serves as a subject matter expert in areas of employee relations and legal compliance.
- Reviews and analyzes organizational data to identify trends and recommend solutions to improve recruitment, retention, performance, and employee experience.
- Maintains consistent actions across the organization by initiating, coordinating, and training managers on Human Resource practices and guidelines.
- Consults legal counsel to ensure that policies comply with federal, state, and local law.
- Supports the planning, development, implementation, and administration of all HR programs, including:
- Full cycle recruiting
- Compliance with existing employment laws, benefit plans, employee handbook, etc.
- Performance evaluations
- Employee engagement
- Succession planning
- Gives group presentations regarding recruitment guidelines related to selection procedures, development of interview questions/skills tests and writing exercises, and equal employment opportunity and inclusiveness guidelines.
Coordinates training in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance reviews, safety, and sexual harassment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including proven dispute resolution skills.
- Thorough understanding of federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws and regulations.
- Experience working in a non-profit, advocacy or political organization.
- Working knowledge of Fair Employment Practices laws under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act; State of NY Employment Laws and Federal statute regulations
- Ability to think strategically and conceptually with an open-minded approach to HR Solutions using an equity lens.
- Forward thinking, innovative, and progressive in HR practices
- Demonstrated passion for work, deep knowledge, research, and best practices for organizations on equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
- Openness to a multi-faceted range of viewpoints; ability to engage with tough questions in a thoughtful and respectful manner.
- Ability to engender trust and respect.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regard to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility, patience, and willingness to learn.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the NYCLU, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field required.
- At least five years of Human Resources or related experience required with at least three years specializing in equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, and diversity, equity, and inclusion programs.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resume via https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/537216/New-York-Civil-Liberties-Union-Foundation/Human-Resources-Diversity-Equity-Inclusion-Manager. The NYCLU is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, sex, gender identity or expression, age, disability, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and having a workforce that reflects the population that we serve.
The NYACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.