TO APPLY: Applicants should submit a resume, list of references, and a cover letter describing their interest in this position via email to email@example.com. Type the position title in the subject header. No phone calls or faxes please.
The ACLU of Massachusetts (“ACLUM”) seeks a Digital Communications Manager and Content Strategist to devise and execute on digital strategy, social media, membership emails and daily website operations for the ACLU of Massachusetts (ACLUM). This position reports to ACLUM’s Communications Director, and provides a critical content production, management and strategy function within a five-member communications team. This role plays a crucial part in advancing ACLUM’s litigation, and legislative and advocacy goals through the creation and distribution of compelling, influential content targeted to both general and key stakeholder audiences.
Flexibility to accommodate work during evenings and weekends when warranted is a key requirement for this role.
- Digital Strategy
- Create and execute digital communications strategies to further advocacy and organizational goals while maintaining stylistic
- Ensure digital strategy is integrated with and/or complements traditional communications
- Craft and implement long-term plan for digital media presence and audience
- Track performance metrics across all digital, social, web and email platforms, regularly report performance metrics to Communications Director, and leverage media analytics to inform and improve digital strategy and
- Social Media
- Produce, post and manage content for social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, ).
- Build social media audience and strengthen digital network among general public, ACLU members, advocacy organizations, press and media, elected officials, legal community and other
- Website Operation and Upkeep
- Regularly update and maintain ACLUM public-facing
- Produce project-based, interdepartmental web
- Work to ensure online content is engaging and accessible to all audiences, including general public, ACLU members, advocacy organizations, press and media, elected officials, legal community and other
- Graphic Design and Brand Development
- Create web graphics for social media postings and campaigns, and on a project-specific basis, as
- Create digital communications that reflect consistent voice, style, and branding, whether produced in digital or hardcopy
- Work with freelance and contract designers, as needed on digital assets and collateral ranging for social media, website communications and special/ campaign-specific
- Special Projects, Publications and Multimedia
- Coordinate and collaborate with freelance and contract photographers and videographers to deliver event, project and campaign
- Manage content production and publication of the ACLUM annual report and the annual board elections
- Manage logistics and administrative aspects of external multimedia and documentary projects featuring ACLUM staff and
- Handle logistics and technical aspects of live digital productions hosted by ACLUM (and external advocacy partners, as needed), including webinars, townhalls, and online
- Email and Web Form Production
- Manage the production of external emails to ACLU of Massachusetts’ 116,000-plus subscriber constituent Collaborate with ACLUM staff from multiple departments, including close coordination with the ACLUM Staff Writer, Digital Communications Manager, and digital communications staff at ACLU National who are responsible for back-end technical processing and publication.
- Coordinate with ACLUM and ACLU National staff to produce Springboard and Message Studio web forms linked and promoted via constituent email and social media, to engage ACLUM members and constituents in legislative advocacy on behalf of the ACLU, as well as event promotion and
- Regularly track performance of email and web form actions, and produce reports in conjunction with tracking and analytics of other
Special projects and other tasks as assigned by the Communications Director.
Qualifications, Experience and Attributes
- Two (2) years’ experience in creating and delivering digital communications or digital marketing
- Proven professional success with website content management systems, and social media content production and
- Experience with photography, videography and video editing
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Keen attention to detail in proofreading, and clarity in the relay of concepts and targeted messaging.
- Highly organized with the ability to effectively prioritize work tasks and meet daily
- Able to work well under
- Strong interpersonal skills and track record of working effectively with colleagues at all organizational levels, and with external
- Strong belief in the ACLU’s mission and work, and in preserving and defending the civil rights and individual liberties guaranteed by the US and Massachusetts Constitution and laws.
- Commitment to diversity and Respect for differences in race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
Key Performance Indicators
- Consistently produces audience growth across all social media platforms consistent with annual benchmarks set by the Communications
- Ensures ACLUM public communications reflect a consistent voice, style and branding, whether in digital or hard
- Capably develops and executes digital communications strategies that further advocacy and organizational goals, maintaining stylistic
- Regularly produces online content that is engaging and
- Delivers short- and long-term assignments, as well as daily work, on deadline and with consistently high
- Promptly and efficiently responds to work emails, calls, texts and other forms of professional
- Frequent written and verbal communication
- Frequent and extended periods of standing and sitting
- Visual acuity for extensive reading, preparing and analyzing information, and viewing a computer terminal
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include 401(k), long-term disability insurance, and paid vacation and holidays proportionate to work schedule.
About the ACLU of Massachusetts
The ACLU of Massachusetts (ACLUM) was founded in 1918 and is an affiliate of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), a nationwide, non-profit, non-partisan membership organization that works to preserve and expand the freedoms guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. Through strategies of litigation, advocacy, public education, and grassroots activism, we strengthen and expand public understanding of racial justice, juvenile justice, LGBTQ rights (including equal marriage), women's rights, criminal justice issues, equal opportunity, free speech and assembly, privacy rights, religious liberty, students' rights, voting rights, and reproductive rights. ACLUM staff are unionized and this position is within the bargaining unit.
ACLUM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and formerly incarcerated people to apply.