The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is growing! We are looking for an experienced finance professional who can help us maximize our potential in terms of financial strength and impact. The ideal candidate is an organized self-starter with a strong orientation to systems-level thinking and team-wide operations. Ability to anticipate problems, a collaborative work ethic, and a high bar for accounting excellence are also critical. The ideal candidate is a hands-on leader who can navigate a wide array of finance responsibilities with ease and consult with employees of all levels on fiscal matters. See job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premier guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. We are also committed to pursuing impactful policy changes at the local and statewide level that work to achieve racial equity and the advancement of civil liberties and civil rights for everyone. The ACLU-VA is committed to ending racist policing, cutting the number of people who are incarcerated in Virginia, increasing access to quality mental and medical care, ending sex and gender based discrimination at work and in schools, and securing a constitutional right to vote for everyone.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Performing essential day-to-day financial functions such as maintaining financial accounts, preparing invoices and deposits, and managing hundreds of accounting entries each month;
- Assisting in preparation of an annual budget, monitoring all expenditures in accordance with the budget, and facilitating regular meetings with staff to discuss budget variance and forecasting;
- Creating intricate financial reporting templates and using them to prepare regular financial statements and investment reports;
- Creating standards, trainings, and procedures to ensure staff adherence to internal controls and finance policies while providing regular coaching across teams to meet 100% compliance; and
- Ensuring timely and accurate completion of compliance and financial reports, including charitable organization renewals, corporation commission reports, year-end income tax reports, and monthly financial statements and investment reports;
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures and their application to basic accounting; experience in analyzing financial information;
- Experience operating in a fast-paced and/or high-volume accounting environment;
- Proficiency with office technology including accounting software (Quickbooks or similar);
- Ability to translate financial concepts clearly to folks less familiar with them; and
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work inclusively across lines of difference in a variety of settings.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $75,000. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Due to COVID-19 and our desire to keep our employees safe, our organization currently is operating 100% remotely. This will continue until at least March 31, 2021. After that time, we will have an interim remote work policy in place that will offer remote work flexibility to all staff for up to a year after we return to our physical office space. It is our expectation that the person hired to fill this position ultimately will work from our downtown Richmond, VA office with standard Mon-Fri business hours and occasional travel throughout Virginia.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Jess Powers, Director of Finance & Administration, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance Manager” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will begin being reviewed November 6, 2020 and will be accepted until position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.