The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) seeks an enthusiastic self-starter with communications, advertising or public relations experience. The Communications Associate will join us as a full-time member of our Communications Team and report to our Senior Communications Manager who manages the day to day production and operations of the team. The Communications Associate will use traditional and online communications, creative content, and public relations skills and expertise to advance the goals of ACLU-VA to inform, persuade and move people to act to create a more equitable world. The Associate will work with the advocacy, legal, and development team to craft communications strategies and tactics that advance the organization’s goals. See full job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premier guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. We are also committed to pursuing impactful policy changes at the local and statewide level that work to achieve racial equity and the advancement of civil liberties and civil rights for everyone. The ACLU-VA is committed to ending racist policing, cutting the number of people who are incarcerated in Virginia, increasing access to quality mental and medical care, ending sex and gender based discrimination at work and in schools, and securing a constitutional right to vote for everyone.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Participating in the development and execution of strong, well-designed, well-defined strategic communications plans and programs that advance the goals and objectives of the organization and empower members, supporters and the public to help the ACLU-VA achieve its mission.
- Develop, write, edit and produce communications materials as assigned including major reports, brochures, annual reports, legislative and litigation reports, development collateral, membership communications, and other publications, including
- Support media relations efforts including tracking media inquiries, producing the daily clips, maintaining media list and writing press releases, talking points and other press materials.
- Develop website content, including blogs, press releases, action alerts, legislative and legal content, and other collateral; support reviewing, updating, and removing website content, when appropriate.
- Manage and produce daily content for social media
- Support the Senior Communication Manager in developing a strategic calendar of events and public speaking engagements by conducting research for potential speaking opportunities that help meet ACLU-VA goals and objectives, managing speaker request intake, and coordinating logistics with internal speakers.
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Experience translating communications and/or marketing theory into communications practice.
- Strong written and oral communication, copy editing, and analytical
- Strong self-motivation, ability to meet tight deadlines, and adaptability.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing projects and priorities.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse communities and people.
- Ability to communicate effectively with large and small audiences, in meetings, and in one on one conversations.
- Ability to be resilient - understanding that working towards systemic change is a marathon and not a sprint.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $38,812 to $54,052. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits including generous paid time off, paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Due to COVID-19 and our desire to keep our employees safe, our organization currently is operating 100% remotely. This will continue until at least March 31, 2021. After that time, we will have an interim remote work policy in place that will offer remote work flexibility to all staff for up to a year after we return to our physical office space. It is our expectation that the person hired to fill this position ultimately will work from our downtown Richmond, VA office with standard Mon-Fri business hours and occasional travel throughout Virginia.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Edith Bullard, Director of Communications by email to email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will begin being reviewed November 6 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.