For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been at the forefront of every major civil liberties fight in our country’s history. Whether it’s reducing the prison and jail population, achieving full equality for the LGBTQ community, reducing immigration detention, or ending unjust laws that strip people of their fundamental right to vote, we take up the toughest civil liberties issues to defend all individuals from government abuse and overreach. With ACLU affiliate offices in all 50 states, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico, we fight tirelessly to defend our rights in the courts, influence public policy, and empower communities to advance rights for all. The ACLU of Michigan, founded in 1959, is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, public interest organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights in Michigan. We are a passionate, highly motivated group of 40 lawyers, public policy experts, lobbyists, community organizers, communicators, and fundraisers, and we’re looking for exceptional talent to join our team.
The ACLU is deeply committed to racial equity and social justice and is driven to act on these core values. Applicants must be able to recognize ways our identities intersect and play out in the work, especially with communities we serve, and must demonstrate the cultural competency to work with a diverse team and effectively partner with historically marginalized communities.
The ACLU of Michigan seeks an Administrative Assistant to support the operations of our Executive, Development and Communications teams both in their work as individual teams and also in their collaborative work. The Administrative Assistant will report to the Special Assistant to the Executive Director.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, it is understood that face-to-face meetings with colleagues will be replaced by phone contact and video meetings from the Administrative Assistant’s home, facilitated with ACLU- MI operations support. This is a full-time position and the ACLU will provide equipment for remote work.
- Support operational functions for Executive, Development and Communications teams including, but not limited to, scheduling meetings, ordering supplies, and processing monthly credit card expense reports and reimbursement reports for department heads
- Process incoming donations and send out acknowledgements
- Complete data entry and assist in database maintenance and reporting through Salesforce, BoardEffect, and other software as needed
- Support Special Assistant to the Executive Director including preparing orientation materials for all new staff, fellows, and interns
- Responsible for keeping both hard copy and digital files organized
- Support administrative functions for all Executive, Development and Communication team hiring processes
- Manage incoming communications with constituents, members, and donors
- Assist in processing office mail
- Minor/incidental tasks relevant to this position
Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Windows, Word, Outlook and Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours when necessary to meet specific project goals
- A commitment to diversity; embraces a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Must be able to execute their work, including data-entry, with accuracy
- Must demonstrate the ability to maintain confidentiality at all times, including while handling sensitive donor information
- A flexible, detail-oriented self-starter who is willing to assume additional duties as appropriate
- A team worker who enjoys working collaboratively with others
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a busy office environment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to meet deadlines
- A person who assumes the best from colleagues and resolves conflicts directly
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with volunteers, staff, board members and the
The salary range for this position is $50,000 - $55,000 per year, depending on experience. Excellent benefits, including health insurance and a 401(k) retirement plan with matching, are provided.
To apply, please submit in digital form, by email, a resume, and a detailed letter of interest, including how you learned about this position. Your application should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled, but the hiring committee will begin to review applications on October 12th, 2020. Interviews will be conducted by phone and videoconference until such time that the State of Michigan determines that regular business may resume and/or the ACLU returns from remote work. Accommodations will happily be made to adjust to restricted internet, computer, or technology access. Likewise, interview logistics can be adjusted to suit candidates’ time constraints during the pandemic.
The ACLU of Michigan is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
The ACLU of Michigan is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com and include “Accommodation” in the subject line. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
“ACLU of Michigan,” as used in this job description, refers collectively to two separate corporate entities, the ACLU of Michigan, and the ACLU Fund of Michigan. The two entities share the same mission, office space, and employees. The job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU of Michigan”.