The ACLU of Mississippi (ACLU-MS) is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization which uses legal, legislative and public education approaches to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional issues including individual rights and freedoms, free speech, racial justice, privacy, religious liberty, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, and more. The ACLU-MS is an affiliate of the national ACLU, the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by our nation's Bill of Rights.
The ACLU-MS plays an important role in the national discussion on civil liberties and is one of the state's premier public advocacy organizations. The State of Mississippi and the ACLU-MS are regularly in the national spotlight due to the state's history as a battleground for civil rights and continuing challenges as a predominately conservative state to offer protection and freedom to progressive communities. For more information, please visit www.aclu-ms.org
Based in Jackson, MS, the Director of Communications reports to the Executive Director, and plays a key role in bolstering the ACLU-MS’s visibility across the state of Mississippi.
The Director of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all external communications to consistently articulate the mission of the ACLU-MS, reinforce the ACLU brand, and position the organization as the source for information about constitutional rights and civil liberties in Mississippi.
The Director of Communications will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives to increase public awareness and appreciation of civil liberties, advocate for positive changes in the civil liberties landscape, and engage supporters in achieving our mission.
Strategy: Identify specific communications goals for the ACLU of Mississippi, develop plans and strategies to reach them, and measure progress. Determine appropriate communications tactics to disseminate ACLU news, promote advocacy campaigns, publicize events and broaden ACLU audiences.
Media Relations: Handle all aspects of media relations, including writing and disseminating press releases and advisories, pitching stories to targeted reporters, fielding media requests, managing a media database, drafting talking points, making statements, arranging interviews with ACLU spokespersons, and coaching spokespersons.
Digital Communications: Manage the online presence of the ACLU-MS, leading staff in generating content that is engaging, up-to-date, and results in measurable action. Develop and manage posting of content to ACLU-MS’s digital channels, including web site, social media (currently Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and email to subscribers.
Print Materials: Manage development, distribution, and maintenance of all print collateral including newsletters, toolkits, educational material, brochures, annual report, event invitations and promotional items. Provide editorial and design direction, handle quality control and proofreading, oversee production, and create and implement distribution plans.
Community Outreach: Assist with initiating and strengthening relationships and collaborations with organizations and leaders who are aligned with the ACLU's mission and purpose. Identify opportunities for community outreach at events and fairs and mobilize volunteers to represent the ACLU-MS through tabling activities. Recruit, train and deploy volunteers to speak about the ACLU-MS before community groups and in schools/universities.
Communications Team: Manage relationships with vendors such as designers and printers.
Recruit and direct communications intern(s). Train and deploy volunteers involved in community outreach. Provide counsel to ACLU-MS chapters on marketing, communications and public relations.
Professional Development: Attend national and regional ACLU training and staff conferences.
Miscellaneous: Perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience and demonstrated success in communications or related field, preferably in the not-for-profit sector.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing or public relations preferred. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies, balancing strategic and tactical work.
- Excellent writing/editing skills for both print and online audiences plus strong verbal communication skills. Proven ability to transform knowledge into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate information to targeted audiences through the most appropriate distribution channels.
- Demonstrated successful experience directing media campaigns, writing press releases, handling press contacts, and training/coaching spokespersons. Knowledge of Mississippi media preferred.
- Creative aptitude and familiarity with interactive design, website and social media management and email marketing strategy. Proficiency with digital content management systems a plus.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print materials and publications.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, database management and internet research.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership, in cross-functional teams, and with diverse constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters.
- Strong time management skills and ability to remain flexible in order to implement multiple projects simultaneously, with tight deadlines
- Entrepreneurial attitude conducive to creating and implementing new initiatives
- Maturity, humility, professionalism, strong work ethic, and commitment to excellence and accuracy
- A demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and social justice.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours or to travel out-of-town and overnight may be required.
Compensation and Terms:
The ACLU-MS offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU-MS compensation scale.
E-mail a letter of interest, resume, both a traditional writing and an online content sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of "Director of Communications Position." Application materials may also be mailed to P.O. Box 2242, Jackson, MS 39225.
Application materials will be reviewed as received and will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.