Immediate Hire - remote work through COVID
The ACLU of New Mexico seeks a full-time Campaign Strategist to support a statewide campaign to raise awareness about the rights of immigrants and prevent state and local law enforcement from contributing to the mass deportation efforts of the Trump administration. The Strategist will advocate with elected officials, conduct policy analysis and work closely with partner organizations to develop and implement a statewide plan designed to engage immigrant leaders, ACLU members and other allies in a coordinated effort to dramatically expand legal and policy protections for immigrant families in New Mexico.
This position requires significant advocacy with elected officials, policy research and analysis, coalition and organizing experience and the ability to travel around the state. Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Public Policy, the Strategist will work closely with ACLU communications, policy, organizing and legal staff, as well as with National ACLU counterparts, to help lead the ACLU-NM’s efforts to protect immigrants’ rights in New Mexico. This is an exciting opportunity to make a real difference in our state and fight back against the administration’s efforts to marginalize and dehumanize immigrant families.
- Work with NM affiliate, national staff and coalition partners to design campaign goals, strategies, tactics and budgets to reach immigrants’ rights goals.
- Research and analyze local, state and national laws and policies affecting immigrant families.
- Develop advocacy tools, including fact sheets, talking points, public education materials, position letters and policy briefs.
- Build grassroots and grasstops support for the ACLU-NM’s immigrants’ rights priorities, and provide technical assistance for such efforts.
- Recruit, train, and manage an active volunteer pool to take action as well as to expand and strengthen the base of the organization.
- Cultivate relationships with allied organizations and coalitions in support of shared policy priorities; and assist the Public Policy Director in convening and facilitating coalitions and other constituent groups to advocate for immigrants’ rights.
- Collaborate with the Communications Department in developing effective messaging and using the media, including digital tools, to advance the organization’s immigrants’ rights priorities.
- Ensure alignment with the ACLU-NM’s Las Cruces office to build a base of support for immigrants’ rights reform in the southern part of the state.
- With the Public Policy Director, develop and implement strategies to lobby the New Mexico legislature and Governor’s office to support immigrant-friendly bills and policies.
- Plan and execute events, including activist trainings, volunteer appreciation events, listening sessions, panel discussions, candidate forums and other community events.
- Provide logistical support for advocacy strategies across departments.
- As needed, represent the ACLU of New Mexico before community groups and public at large, including speaking at community events and, occasionally, to the media.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction.
- Commit to working collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Existing relationships with immigrants’ rights organizations and/or elected officials in New Mexico a significant plus.
- Strong research, writing, analytical and communication skills. Including ability to analyze and communicate legal concepts, polling information, and other complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Strong project management skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Experience developing and managing successful public policy or electoral campaigns preferred.
- A demonstrated ability to build, lead and work within coalitions and motivate volunteers.
- Familiarity with immigrants’ rights issues. Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
- A self-starter and finisher with a demonstrated ability to follow through with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, simultaneously handle many tasks, work efficiently and quickly, and meet deadlines, while remaining composed under pressure.
- Bilingual Spanish/English skills in written and spoken communication strongly preferred.
- A flexible team player who works collaboratively, shares responsibilities, and supports and acknowledges colleagues’ contributions.
- Proficiency with Windows and Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to operate constituent management and communications tools (i.e. VAN, Constant Contact, ThruText) to promote events and communicate organizational messages.
- Willingness to work irregular hours, including some weekends.
- Able to travel, with current drivers license.
COMPENSATION: Competitive salary commensurate with experience within the parameters of ACLU of New Mexico’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, 401k plan, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays. Minimum annual salary is $45,000.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to HR@aclu-nm.org. Include “Immigrants’ Rights Campaign Strategist” in the subject line and specify how you heard about the posting. No phone calls or walk-ins, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but we encourage applications to be sent by May 11, 2020. Interviews will be held through Zoom.
The ACLU of New Mexico is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.