ABOUT THE JOB
The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Business Operations and Compliance Associate in the Business Operations and Support Services Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY.
The Business Operations and Support Services department, in the office of the Chief Operating Officer, works to enable organizational and operational effectiveness by partnering with ACLU staff across the enterprise to provide business solutions, training, physical space planning, facilities operations, capital projects, records management and archives services. The department continually evaluates operations to maximize resources, mitigate risk, and achieve the organization’s strategic goals.
Develop a broad understanding of the centralized organizational and operational processes within ACLU National offices
Assist in the redesign of business processes, such as Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery, Data Governance, and Digital Records Management. Activities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate with staff across Departments to evaluate processes and to identify and prioritize addressing gaps and inefficiencies
- Research and analyze gaps and inefficiencies to recommend changes to policies and procedures
- Leverage subject matter expertise across the organization to redesign processes and develop support resources
- Develop and implement change management and ongoing support strategies
Support the development of organization-wide operational programs:
- Draft new and update existing policies and procedures, incorporating edits and obtaining sign-off from relevant stakeholders
- Draft user documentation and communications related to the implementation of new and updated operational processes
- Implement policies and procedures across ACLU departments and teams
Administer and monitor compliance for organization-wide operational programs:
- Serve as ‘procurement desk’ by monitoring mailbox inquiries, performing initial intake steps for procurement requests, and onboarding new, approved Vendor Managers in the organization
- Support event managers across the ACLU in meeting organizational accessibility and inclusion standards for events and meetings
- Identify opportunities to improve and modernize operational processes
Support organization-wide learning:
- Administer the learning management system, including creating, updating and deactivating user accounts; configuring and managing the training library; tracking staff completion of required trainings to ensure organizational and regulatory compliance; troubleshooting and responding to user inquiries; performing regular system maintenance—such as data cleanup—and generating reports as requested
- Coordinate with IT on organization-wide security awareness education and payment card industry (PCI) training compliance
Scheduling and other unit-wide support as assigned:
- Assist in the upkeep of unit intranet and CRM resources and unit organizational charts
- Assist with meeting scheduling and calendar coordination
- Coordinate, and process, and track invoices and payments, as necessary
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment managing strict deadlines and competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to manage and execute multiple tasks simultaneously
- Critical thinker with demonstrated problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, including the ability to compose, edit, and proof correspondence and documents
- Excellent customer service and relationship building skills, including the ability to represent the department and communicate professionally with ACLU staff, consultants, and vendors, while maintaining tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and foster a team-focused environment that encourages collaboration and peer support
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to adapt and quickly adjust in response to changing priorities
- Strong commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Exposure to administrative and operational functions
- Experience supporting successful system and process implementations in complex environments
- Experience in a nonprofit organization
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU undertakes affirmative action strategies in its recruitment and employment efforts to assure that all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, have full opportunities for employment in all positions.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.