ABOUT THE JOB
- Serve as strategist and lead writer for all Digital Campaigns content, including emails, action and fundraising pages, organic social posts, as well as editing any related advertising content
- Develop and strategize petitions, messages to elected officials, call actions, and other engagement tactics
- Manage all content review and approval process, working with colleagues across our Legal, Political and Advocacy, Communications, and Development departments
- Identify opportunities for high-impact digital engagement and advocacy campaigns
- Serve as primary Campaigns team representative in all issue-area messaging groups and hold key relationships with colleagues and strategists across Legal, Political and Advocacy, and Communications departments
- Manage and maintain style guide informing ACLU branding and messaging guidelines for affiliate, fundraising, and action campaigns content, with a focus on email
- Monitor news and current events for our priority issue areas as well as ACLU activities to identify potential campaign opportunities
- Hold relationships with partner organization campaigners and digital engagement staff and identify opportunities for collaboration
- Assist with weekend web and social media publishing as part of a rotating coverage schedule
- Assist with coding and testing responsive HTML and CSS emails; review and edit emails to ensure quality
- Contribute to a culture of continuous, data-driven learning and evaluation
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio- economic circumstance, record of arrest or conviction
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience and a minimum of two years’ experience in nonprofit communications, online campaigning, or related fields
- Experience developing content for issue-based or political advocacy campaigns; familiarity with a range of online campaigning tools, tactics and strategies
- Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal communication skills; strong attention to detail, ability to prioritize, write and deliver high-quality work product under deadlines
- Understanding of trends and best practices for online campaigning, and best practices for communicating via email and sms/text message
- Basic working knowledge of HTML and CSS to code emails for multiple email clients
- Basic content management system and email management system experience with platforms similar to Silverpop, EveryAction and Joomla
- Experience using web and social media trend analysis tools
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.