The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Texas is at the front lines of protecting and defending civil rights and civil liberties across the state of Texas. The Communications Coordinator will serve as a point person for print and broadcast media relations on behalf of the ACLU of Texas and its staff, in addition to helping manage and coordinate public education, outreach, and other functions within the scope of the Department of Communications. While primarily focused on media relations, the Communications Coordinator will also work collaboratively to develop new content for advocacy initiatives in the field and online, supporting the organization’s total communications and marketing efforts. Must be fluent in Spanish, as Spanish-language media outreach makes up a great deal of the media-relations portfolio.
- Develop and execute communications strategies and tactics for a broad range of projects, campaigns, and litigation efforts;
- Pitch stories and interviews, respond to incoming media requests; build relationships with press;
- Draft press materials, including press releases, advisories, op-eds, reports and public education materials;
- Respond quickly to breaking news and inquiries, including occasionally after hours and on weekends;
- Provide press support, including preparing spokespeople for interviews, creating talking points and setting up interviews;
- Build and maintain press lists;
- Plan and manage press conferences and media events; and
- Assist the Communications Department with other tasks, including writing and research as needed.
Experience and Qualifications
Ideal candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- A profound and well-articulated commitment to civil liberties and social justice;
- 4-6 years of experience in journalism, public relations, or nonprofit communications;
- Strong news judgement and a demonstrated ability in securing media coverage and cultivating relationships with journalists;
- An understanding of digital communications tools, including social media;
- Demonstrated ability to work in an intensely collaborative, team-oriented environment;
- Computer proficiency, including website management—familiarity with website maintenance and ability to create and upload web content;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with the ability to work with a legal team to translate complex legal material into accurate, accessible, and compelling messaging;
- Ability to work effectively across multiple issue areas;
- Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, willing to learn, able to manage an aggressive schedule, willing to travel regularly and work beyond 9-5 as needed;
- The ability to thrive under deadline pressures;
- A diplomatic touch and a sense of humor; and
- Ability to speak and write Spanish fluently.
Salary is commensurate with experience and within the parameters of ACLU of Texas’s salary scale. Excellent benefits include a generous Paid Time Off policy, medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with an employer match; life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and names and contact information of three professional references by email to email@example.com "Communications Coordinator" in the subject line.
Applications are being accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Texas is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Texas encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.