ABOUT THE JOB
- Reporting to the Deputy Political Director, Equality Division, work with national staff and ACLU affiliates to build campaign goals, strategies, and budgets to reach political/policy outcomes in specific issue areas in a key NPAD Division
- Manage a policy and campaigns team of 10-12 staff in order to achieve legislative, administrative and electoral victories that advance civil liberties and civil rights, while building the ACLU’s political power
- Operate as a key liaison between policy and campaign staff and NPAD senior leadership, to help identify areas of work that should be prioritized by the department
- For state/local work, partner with ACLU affiliates to build campaign goals, strategies, and budgets to reach political/policy outcomes in the state/local legislative, administrative, and electoral arenas
- Operate as a key decision maker on campaign and policy engagements, shaping budgeting decisions, campaign priorities, policy development agendas, and political messaging frames
- Develop relationships with allies and other organizations to further political advocacy goals
- Help lead federal advocacy work (legislative, administrative, electoral), which is directly implemented by NPAD staff through lobbying and other direct engagement
- Work with others in the ACLU, such as colleagues in the Affiliate Support and Nationwide Initiatives Department, to make affiliate campaign grants and provide feedback to affiliates on grant commitments
- Help develop staff capacity to work together collaboratively and grow issue expertise and campaign skills
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- A minimum of six years of issue advocacy and/or electoral campaign experience at the federal, state, or local levels, including campaign management experience
- Familiarity building, leading, and working within coalitions
- Experience designing campaign strategy and tactics and executing campaign plans
- Demonstrated people management experience
- Ability to manage and oversee multiple campaigns at once
- Excellent research, writing, analytical, and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to speak in public settings on behalf of one’s organization
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, simultaneously handle many tasks, work efficiently and quickly, and meet deadlines, while remaining composed under pressure
- Willingness to travel
- Experience doing advocacy on both issue campaigns and electoral campaigns
- Expertise in one or more key ACLU issue areas
- Experience doing legislative and administrative advocacy
- Experience generating creative campaign approaches to issue advocacy
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.