The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is growing! We are looking for an experienced, strategic and collaborative Senior Staff Attorney who wants to advance civil liberties and civil rights in Virginia by using a variety of strategies including litigation, public education, and advocacy. The Senior Staff Attorney would also oversee our legal program’s intake and case development processes. The ideal candidate is an experienced manager and litigator who can help lead our legal team through case selection and development while executing a wide range of impact litigation strategies. The ideal candidate thrives under pressure and is always professional, with strong analytical and coaching skills. The ideal candidate is comfortable delegating tasks, enjoys helping others turn ideas into action, and is a systems thinker that can transform our strong legal intake program into something truly incredible. See full job description for complete details.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia’s premiere guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU, to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. The ACLU-VA is dedicated to reforming our criminal justice system, ending sex discrimination and ensuring equality for all, and protecting freedom of speech and religion, abortion access, voting rights, and right to privacy.
What You’ll Do
You’ll help us protect and advance the ACLU’s mission by:
- Supervising delegated legal staff, including our paralegal and investigator, overseeing review and consideration of intakes and other requests for assistance and taking the lead on case selection and development with the legal team;
- Developing and executing a wide range of impact litigation, including leading or co-counseling selected litigation, including drafting pleadings, motions, briefs, conducting discovery, taking and defending depositions, arguing motions, trying cases, handling appeals, working with experts, and negotiating settlement agreements; and
- Assisting in setting priorities for the legal team.
Who You Are
Our “Must Have’s”
- Experience litigating cases in federal and/or state courts and ability to lead and independently manage cases and legal projects.
- Experience in delegating effectively to junior attorneys, law fellows, cooperating attorneys, paralegals, interns or other staff with the ability to provide clear direction, set priorities, meet deadlines, provide meaningful feedback, and hold staff accountable;
- Ability to think critically and solve complex problems;
- Excellent writing, research, analytical, and verbal communication skills;
- Strong self-motivation and capacity to handle numerous deadlines and work in a fast-paced, bustling environment; and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and a commitment to the highest ethical standards.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position is $77,850 to $107,850. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not normally hire above the mid-point of the range. We offer excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Send a cover letter explaining your interest in and qualifications for the position as detailed in this announcement, and a current resume to Eden Heilman, Legal Director, by email to email@example.com with “Senior Staff Attorney” in the subject line of the email. Applications can also be mailed to ACLU of Virginia, 701 E. Franklin Street, Suite 1412, Richmond, VA 23219.
Submit your application as soon as possible. Applications will begin being reviewed July 15, 2019 and will be accepted until position is filled. Please indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.