ABOUT THE JOB
- Work with national staff and ACLU affiliates to build campaign goals, strategies, tactics, and budgets to reach goals on specific issue areas at various levels of government
- Engage in both issue campaign work and electoral work to advance issue campaigns
- Work with policy and organizing staff within the political advocacy department to design and carry out large-scale campaigns that help to achieve concrete policy objectives, while building the ACLU’s political power
- Support ACLU affiliates in building campaign goals, strategies, tactics, and budgets to reach policy outcomes in the local, legislative, administrative, and electoral arenas
- Identify and cultivate campaign capacity and electoral capacity within ACLU affiliate offices
- Engage in policy work related to campaign issues
- Develop and facilitate opportunities for ongoing communication, engagement, and coordination among ACLU affiliate campaign staff
- Participate in on-the-ground meetings, planning, and campaign events in priority states, where needed
- Represent the ACLU in national coalitions and develop relationships with allies and other organizations to further advocacy goals
- Work with others in the ACLU, such as colleagues in the Affiliate Support and Nationwide Initiatives Department, to make affiliate campaign grants and provide feedback to affiliates on grant commitments
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- A minimum of six years of issue advocacy and/or electoral campaign experience at the federal, state, or local levels, including campaign management experience
- Familiarity building, leading, and working within coalitions
- Experience designing campaign strategy and tactics and executing campaign plans
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team
- Excellent research, writing, analytical, and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to speak on public settings on behalf of one’s organization
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment, simultaneously handle many tasks, work efficiently and quickly, and meet deadlines, while remaining composed under pressure
- Willingness to travel
- Experience doing advocacy on both issue campaigns and electoral campaigns
- Experience doing legislative and administrative advocacy
- Experience doing grassroots organizing
- Fluency in and deep policy expertise in at least one ACLU issue priority
- Ability to do some policy work
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.