ABOUT THE JOB
- J.D. degree and at least five (5) years of legal experience, including experience drafting complaints and briefs and taking depositions. Individuals with significantly more experience are strongly encouraged to apply. Those with ten or more years of experience will have the title Senior Staff Attorney.
- If not currently admitted to the New York Bar, candidate must be admitted to the bar of another state and agree to become admitted to the New York Bar within one year of hire.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU.
- Excellent legal analytical and research skills.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct complex legal analysis and fact-finding.
- Demonstrated ability to write and speak clearly and persuasively.
- Self-motivated, diligent, and able to meet strict deadlines while under pressure.
- Ability to work with a wide range of people and foster a team environment, working collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and conflicts.
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.