ABOUT THE JOB
The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Director of Product Management & Product Design in the Product & Technology Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY.
The ACLU’s Product & Technology team partners with departments across the ACLU in order to build and maintain innovative, robust and secure digital products and technical systems that accelerate the ACLU’s mission as our nationwide guardian of rights and liberties. We are a team of engineers, designers, product managers and administrators who take pride in creating technical solutions that help raise money, get our message out in the world, mobilize our supporters and manage our data with integrity.
Reporting to the Chief Product & Digital Officer, the Director of Product Management & Product Design will be responsible for leading the product management & product design teams. internal- and external-facing products that reach our programmatic goals and support the advocacy, fundraising, communications, and programmatic needs of the nationwide organization. The Director of Product Management & Product Design will lead a team of product managers and product designers who work within cross-functional product teams, while advocating for a high-impact product management & design culture and supporting the team’s professional growth.
- Direct the vision and strategy of the product lifecycle in furtherance of the ACLU’s overall mission and strategic direction, following the overall product and technical strategy set by the Chief Product & Digital Officer
- Drive the product design vision by advocating for best-in-class design practices in order to create a design-forward product culture
- Educate leadership and colleagues in other departments on the role of PTEC and the power of product-driven practices. Act as an in-house product expert and be comfortable teaching and inspiring others regarding the positive impact of product-driven best practices.
- Lead a team of product managers and product designers with hands-on management and promote a robust and consistent product-driven culture.
- Recruit and retain best-in-class product managers and product designers, including growing them within their careers, providing regular feedback, and establishing clear professional development pathways
- Work with peer engineering leaders on evolving and managing cross-functional project teams in order to accomplish strategic goals
- Partner with ACLU department leaders in Communications, Political Advocacy, Fundraising, and Analytics to create and foster an understanding of how products can further organizational goals and develop those plans into a cohesive and prioritized product roadmap
- Partner with ACLU’s 50+ affiliates and their representatives at the national office to ensure that products are being optimized for their nationwide impact
- Help establish product-driven success metrics for projects and ensure design and product management practices take advantage of data thoughtfully
- Work with the product design team to define how qualitative research practices can consistently be woven into project lifecycles
- Work with peer engineering leaders to drive product goals and priorities, including setting the strategy between using internal products and 3rd party products, considering feature deprecations where appropriate, and planning and communicating product roadmaps
- Partner with the Creative team to ensure product design practices honor and respect brand design. Work closely with the Creative Director to create practices and venues where the creative design and product design teams can collaborate and iteratively learn together.
- Incorporate user feedback, testing, usage analysis, and other product-driven practices to guide product iteration
- Work with peer training and support teams to ensure that products are successful and adopted widely within the nationwide organization
- Significant experience in a product leadership position at a technology-focused organization
- Demonstrable track record of success in building, scaling, and maintaining cross-functional teams who are able to shepherd products from conception to launch and iterate through a product roadmap
- Strong experience in a hands-on product development role in UX design, front-end development, and/or back-end development strongly preferred
- An ability to work with varied stakeholders to propose, prioritize, and select projects and to create product roadmaps
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- Strong understanding of modern frameworks, toolsets, and data technologies and how to choose among them
- Strong understanding of digital security, accessibility, and privacy issues
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills and the ability to make decisions and implement projects in a team-oriented environment
- An “open by default” stance preferred, demonstrated by a track record of developing and releasing software in public with open licenses and open data sets, in collaboration with other aligned organizations and software communities
- Knowledge of Non-profit and advocacy-oriented business needs and goals preferred
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.