For nearly 100 years, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, preserving the right to vote, the right to have an abortion, the rights protected by the First Amendment and due process of law, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. The ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, economic status, national origin, immigration status, incarceration or record of arrest or conviction. We are nonprofit and nonpartisan and have grown from a roomful of civil liberties activists to an organization of more than 1.6 million members and supporters.
The ACLU is seeking a full-time Director of Product Management to lead a product management team and help define product management at the ACLU. This leadership role will work with peers in Engineering and Design to build internal- and external-facing products that reach our programmatic goals and support the advocacy, fundraising, communications, and programmatic needs of the nationwide organization. The Director of Product Management will lead a team of product managers who work within cross-functional product teams, while advocating for a high-impact product management culture and supporting the team’s professional growth. The person in the role will join the Product & Technology Department in New York, reporting to the Chief Technology Officer.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct the vision and strategy of the product lifecycle in furtherance of the ACLU’s overall mission and strategic direction, following the overall product strategy set by the Chief Product & Digital Officer and the technical strategy set by the Chief Technical Officer
- Lead a team of product managers with hands-on management and promote a robust and consistent product management culture.
- Recruit and retain best-in-class product managers, including the establishment of professional development pathways
- Workwith engineering, product design, and project management leadership on forming, deploying, and disbanding cross-functional project teams as necessary to accomplish goals
- Partner with ACLU business leaders in Communications, Political Advocacy, Fundraising, and Business Support to create and foster an understanding of how products can further their organizational goals and to plan product roadmaps
- Partner with ACLU’s 50 affiliates and their representatives at the national office to ensure that products are being optimized for their nationwide impact
- Drive product goals and priorities, including setting the strategy between using internal products and 3rd party products, considering feature deprecations where appropriate, and planning and communicating product roadmaps
- Work with data insights & analytics leadership to ensure that ACLU’s data infrastructure supports analytical tools and staff to guage and steer the success of products
- Incorporate user feedback, testing, usage analysis, and other business-driven metrics to guide product iteration
- Work with peer training and support teams to ensure that products are successful and adopted widely within the nationwide organization
- Maintain current knowledge of the technology landscape, including frameworks, toolsets, non-profit and advocacy platforms and services, accessibility standards, security standards, and the fight for digital privacy
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Significant experience in a product leadership position at a technology-focused organization
- Demonstrable track record of success in building, scaling, and maintaining cross-functional teams who are able to shepherd products from conception to launch and iterate through a product roadmap
- Experience in a hands-on product development role in UX design, front-end development, and/or back-end development strongly preferred
- An ability to work with varied stakeholders to propose, prioritize, and select projects and to create product roadmaps
- Strong understanding of modern frameworks, toolsets, and data technologies and how to choose among them
- Strong understanding of digital security, accessibility, and privacy issues
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communications skills and the ability to make decisions and implement projects in a team-oriented environment
- An “open by default” stance preferred, demonstrated by a track record of developing and releasing software in public with open licenses and open data sets, in collaboration with other aligned organizations and software communities
- Demonstrated interest in the mission and goals of the ACLU
- Knowledge of nonprofit- and advocacy-oriented business needs and goals preferred
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send a cover letter and resume/CV via email to hrjobsPTEC@aclu.org. Reference: [PTEC-02] in the subject line. In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct email address.