The Software Engineer
INNOVATE | TEST | ITERATE
Our platform was built by engineers for engineers and we are genuinely passionate about what we create.This opportunity sits within our Business Management Team (BMT for short) enabling the smooth running of our platform for our business clients.
As a Software Engineer at ACG you'd get the chance to contribute to innovative software, mentor and coach other engineers and share knowledge in our internal Engineering community. If you are a fan of working with big datasets and reporting you will fit right into this team of hungry, humble engineering Gurus - read on and apply below!
Hello, we're A Cloud Guru
Our friends call us ACG.
A Cloud Guru was built by engineers for everyone, everywhere. Here, you’ll have the freedom to follow your curiosity. We’re not afraid to just try, because when you’re working with cutting edge technologies, experimentation and trying out new ideas have to be encouraged and celebrated. Our engineers are building the world’s largest (and most awesome) cloud learning platform. Why? Our mission is to teach the world to cloud. Our fun, practical courses have helped over 2 million people learn to cloud, and we’re just getting started.
There aren't many company cultures like A Cloud Guru's in the world. This year, we were awarded the #1 Place to work in Austin, as well as Best Company Culture and Best Companies for Diversity.
What makes the Engineering team awesome...
We’re not a training company that just decided to sell training courses. We grew up out of the cloud ecosystem. We were a bunch of cloud engineers who pulled people together to create a training platform. That’s why we’re genuinely passionate about what we create. And we are known for practicing what we preach. We’ve built a product using cloud-first Serverless Architecture with tools like Lambda, API Gateway, GraphQL and ReactJS. All that aside, we're a friendly, down-to-earth, and collaborative group. There are no high-performing jerks and no heroes. Just great teams.
You'll do well at ACG if you're open to learning and trying new things, and you like to be surrounded by other friendly, passionate and driven people. –Natasja, Makeup Guru (and Software Developer)
As a Software Engineer at ACG, you’ll get to:
- Consistently write well tested, readable, secure and accessible code
- Deliver high quality systems in technologies such as Node, React, GraphQL and AWS services
- Contribute to agile ceremonies, offering suggestions in daily stand-ups, retrospectives and other team meetings
- Review pull requests and provide feedback to team members
- Actively pair-programs with team members
- Work effectively with established React and Node architectures, following best practices defined by the team
- Contribute to the ongoing support of product releases in production
- Develop and support build pipelines and infrastructure and own your systems in production
- Mentors individuals, proactively coaches teammates and imparts knowledge willingly
- Participate in an on-call rotation, supporting the teams system in production
What you bring to the table
We focus on hiring values-aligned people, because we believe the right person can learn all the things to be successful in their role. Self-belief plays a big part in what you apply for. We encourage all job applicants to apply even if they are nervous to do so. Uni degrees aren't required for any roles, and career gaps or switches are totally welcome.
- Minimum 2 years in commercial software development
- Full-stack development, ideally using NodeJS and React
- Experience working with databases, including relational or non-relational varieties
- Ability to write tests and follow clean code practices
- Demonstrated previous experience in pair programming and participating in code reviews
More than a job
Where you work isn’t just a career decision — it’s a life decision. Everyone has family, friends and interests outside of their careers, so we offer perks and benefits to make work, work better for you.
- 5 weeks annual leave + sick time + holidays. Because even when your office is your living room, we all need time to unplug.
- Remotely awesome. Get $700 to level up your home office, monthly snack boxes, free Headspace access, weekly lunch funds, and $50 monthly for internet.
- Remote first environment. Feel connected to your coworkers with events inspired by our values, weekly virtual happy hours, and lunchtime trivia.
- $1,000 USD continuing education budget. All Gurus get $250 USD a quarter to spend on personal development.
- 2 hours each week reserved for learning. Every Friday for 2 hours, we put down our normal work and spend time learning something new.
- Get certified on us. A Cloud Guru will cover the cost of sitting all industry cloud certifications.
The A Cloud Guru team has grown a lot since it was just two brothers with a dream of teaching the world to cloud! We now employ gurus in 30 states of the USA as well as certain states in Australia and the UK. For the time being that’s as far as we can go. We won’t bore you with the details, but setting up the extra operations we would need to employ people in new states or countries is a little bit more expensive than replicating your database in another AZ, if you know what we mean. So as much as we would love to have staff in as many countries as we have students, we are only opening this role to applicants in areas we currently have operations.
This role is available to applicants in either Victoria or Queensland, Australia.
What’s the interview process like at ACG?
Applying for a job can feel intimidating and like a full-time job of its own. You shouldn’t have to burn through a week of sick time or all your best out-of-office excuses just to put feelers out for a new career opportunity. It’s our goal to provide you a fair, efficient interviewing experience that respects you and your time — and to do it all with a touch of delight.
Once you submit an application, we’ll review it. If you’re a good fit, you’ll have an initial chat with a recruiter over the phone. A phone interview with a manager typically follows. Depending on your role, you might then be asked to do a little homework (but nothing too time consuming). Then we’ll schedule a Zoom call to meet other members of the team, answer any questions you have, and give you a feel for what it’s really like to work at ACG. If you're on the fence, just give it a try.
Keep being awesome, cloud gurus!