The Software Engineer role
TEST | ENGINEER | DEPLOY
As a Software Engineer at A Cloud Guru, you'll be part of a team who's mission is to create the best cloud education on the planet. You'll work daily to solve interesting and complex problems, deploying well tested and secure systems using technology like GraphQL, React, Node and AWS. You'll gain exposure to Serverless Architectures, learn a lot about cloud computing in theory and practice and ultimately own your product from system design through to support! If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, please apply below!
Hello, we're A Cloud Guru
Our friends call us ACG.
A Cloud Guru was built by engineers for everyone, everywhere. Here, you’ll have the freedom to follow your curiosity. We’re not afraid to just try, because when you’re working with cutting edge technologies, experimentation and trying out new ideas have to be encouraged and celebrated. Our engineers are building the world’s largest (and most awesome) cloud learning platform. Why? Our mission is to teach the world to cloud. Our fun, practical courses have helped over 1.5 million people learn to cloud, and we’re just getting started.
We’re not a training company that just decided to sell training courses. We grew up out of the cloud ecosystem. We were a bunch of cloud engineers who pulled people together to create a training platform. That’s why we’re genuinely passionate about what we create. And we are known for practicing what we preach.
What makes the Product & Engineering team awesome...
Learning to cloud means unlocking a world of possibilities for our students. Using the latest tech, we design the tools to teach people cloud faster and better. The team is talented (and a little quirky), and we’re all in it together.
- Cutting-edge tech We’ve built a product using cloud-first Serverless Architecture with tools like Lambda, API Gateway, GraphQL and ReactJS.
- Founded by engineers Having a CEO who’s also an engineer is nice — he knows the effort it takes to make things awesome.
- We don’t bite We’re friendly, down-to-earth, and collaborative. There are no high-performing jerks and no heroes. Just great teams.
- Hungry and humble We’re dedicated to learning all the things to create the best product possible.
You'll do well at ACG if you're open to learning and trying new things, and you like to be surrounded by other friendly, passionate and driven people. –Natasja, Makeup Guru (and Software Engineer)
As a Software Engineer at ACG, you’ll get to:
- Contribute to systems and applications by writing well tested, readable, secure and accessible code; delivering high quality systems in technologies such as Node, React, GraphQL and AWS services
- Contribute to agile ceremonies, offering suggestions in daily stand-ups, retrospectives and other team meetings
- Pair-program and review pull requests to provide helpful, constructive feedback and knowledge sharing to team members
- Work effectively with established React and Node architectures, following best practices defined by our teams
- Develop and support build pipelines and infrastructure and own your systems in production
- Contribute to the ongoing support of product releases in production
- Participate in an on-call rotation, supporting the teams system in production
- Mentor individuals and proactively coach teammates to solve complex technical problems
- Use your awesome written, verbal and visual communication skills to facilitate technical discussion and share ideas
What you bring to the table
We focus on hiring values-aligned people, because we believe the right person can learn all the things to be successful in their role. Self-belief plays a big part in what you apply for. We encourage all job applicants to apply even if they are nervous to do so. Uni degrees aren't required for any roles, and career gaps or switches are totally welcome.
- Minimum 3 years in commercial software engineering
- Experience working in full-stack development, ideally using NodeJS and React (other JS frameworks are acceptable)
- Experience working with relational or NoSQL databases
- Experience writing tests (Unit, End-to-End etc.) and following clean code practices
- Experience pair programming and participating in code reviews
- Exposure to deploying applications in AWS, using services such as Lambda, SQS, DynamoDB or S3
- Exposure to functional programming theories or concepts
- Exposure to good documentation practices
We want the people who care about doing a good job. The ones who have the humility and hunger to learn. - Sam Kroonenburg, Co-Founder and CEO
More than a job
Where you work isn’t just a career decision — it’s a life decision. We get it. That’s why we want all of our Gurus to feel a sense of belonging that comes from feeling supported in all areas of their lives. Everyone has family, friends and interests outside of their careers, so we offer perks and benefits to make work, work better for you.
- 5 weeks paid time off. Whether it’s hiking to a waterfall or bonding with your couch, we all need time to unplug
- Gender-neutral paid parental leave. We offer 8 weeks of gender-neutral paid parental leave
- USD $250 quarterly education budget. All Gurus get USD $250 to spend on professional development every quarter
- 2 hours each week reserved for learning. Every Friday for 2 hours, we put down our normal work and spend time learning something new
- Salary Packaging. Our salary packaging benefit allows you to pay for certain everyday expenses, like your car lease or new laptop, with pre-tax dollars
- 5 mins from Flinders Street Station. Commuting is a breeze when the office is a 5 minute walk from Flinders Street Station
- Stocked kitchen. Lunches are catered twice a week, and our kitchen stays stocked with carb free, lactose free, and vegan friendly options
- Get certified on us. A Cloud Guru will cover the cost of sitting all industry cloud certifications
What’s the interview process like at ACG?
Applying for a job can feel intimidating and like a full-time job of its own. You shouldn’t have to burn through a week of sick time or all your best out-of-office excuses just to put feelers out for a new career opportunity. It’s our goal to provide you a fair, efficient interviewing experience that respects you and your time — and to do it all with a touch of delight.
Once you submit an application, we’ll review it. If you’re a good fit, you’ll have an initial chat with a recruiter over the phone. An interview with a manager typically follows. Depending on your role, you might then be asked to do a little homework (but nothing too time consuming). Then we’ll schedule a Zoom call to meet other members of the team, answer any questions you have, and give you a feel for what it’s really like to work at ACG. If you're on the fence, just give it a try.
Keep being awesome, cloud gurus!