Aclima delivers hyperlocal air quality data and insights, at block-by-block resolution. We combine leading-edge sensor technology, climate science, enterprise software, and data science to generate high-resolution maps of emissions across pollutants –– from CO2 and methane to particulate matter. Translating large-scale, distributed sensor data into environmental intelligence, Aclima transforms how we understand and manage our communities, cities, and industries to improve human and planetary health. Aclima is a 2017 World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, as well as one of the prestigious 2018 Global Cleantech 100 companies. Aclima is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. For more information, visit www.aclima.io.
We operate on all levels of the stack. Our hardware and firmware engineers design and build our data collection platform. The technical operations team fabricates technology and maintains and operates our instruments in cities across the world. However, it is the software team that's the integration point for all of this work.
The software team is responsible for running data collection, and for building data analysis systems. Additionally we support other teams inside Aclima, building tooling that ranges from to flashing firmware in the field to optimizing routing algorithms for mobile data collection. We are looking for a passionate Senior-level Engineer to help build our software team. We seek smart and motivated people who a strong interest in environmental science and big data. You’ll collaborate with data scientists, climatologists, hardware engineers, and designers in a fast-paced, purpose-driven atmosphere with flexible hours and competitive perks.
Our stack includes: Python (Flask), Go, Kubernetes on Google Cloud, Docker, BigQuery, CircleCI, Git
You will be responsible for building tooling and infrastructure to enable more rapid iteration on our data collection objectives. For example, you might work on a tool that routes drivers in the field to optimize data collection, based on environmental and traffic data. Or you might be introducing and migrating to data tooling which supports a DAG of data jobs. You will be responsible for taking projects from concept to production, and so might need to operate at all levels of the stack and be able to work independently.
You will be in communication with fellow engineers, and must be able to justify your technical decisions. However, you will also often interface with non-technical stakeholders, and must be able to communicate your approach to them, and also solicit and implement user feedback. Finally, you will interact regularly with executive staff, and be involved in strategic decision-making.
As an early member of the software team, you will also be asked to help in setting our future direction. For example, you might help to evolve our interview process, advocate for tooling to for cross-team collaboration, or champion standards for code review or continuous deployment.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, designers and product managers to build, maintain, and improve Aclima’s data platform
- Architect scalable backend systems, services, and APIs
- Provide data engineering support to the data science team to productionize their output
- Identify gaps in automation and workflows, and build tooling to address them
- Collaborate with senior leaders to chart a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our systems
- 5+ years of experience designing, building, scaling and maintaining production services
- Ability to identify and diagnose problems and then build and deploy solutions
- Experience with championing and deploying new technologies and approaches
- Desire for continuous learning of new technologies, languages, and platforms
- Bonus points for: Experience with embedded systems and firmware
- Deep knowledge of Python and Flask
- Familiarity with cloud environments, especially Google Cloud Platform, and Docker/k8s
- Knowledge of data processing systems, e.g. Airflow or Google Dataflow
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Aclima has made the Kapor Capital Founders' Commitment.
Full-time position only. Out of area candidates will be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
Aclima employees work incredibly hard, and we work incredibly hard to thank them. We offer a competitive compensation package and excellent benefits. You’ll appreciate our challenging work environment, exceptional colleagues, strong business momentum, and the ability to make a difference. Benefits include: medical/dental/vision, 401K, commuter and wellness, company events and an extraordinary culture.
Learn More About Aclima
- Driving Science: Mapping Air Pollution in Oakland - Aclima blog
- The High-Res Future of Anti-Pollution Tech - Google blog
- Getting Hyper-Local: Mapping Street Level Air Quality Across California - Google blog
- Incredibly Detailed Maps Show The Pollution From California’s Fires - Fast Company
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this role.