Aclima provides governments, businesses, and communities with a new class of environmental intelligence to reduce air pollution and climate-changing emissions.
Aclima was founded to deliver on its mission of protecting people and the planet by putting air pollution on the map, through an entirely new approach to environmental quantification and analysis. Since 2008, Aclima has been investing in extensive R&D to pioneer the science of hyperlocal air quality measurement and analysis. In parallel, we’ve been building the capabilities required to engage and support local communities, and deliver products that meet the unique needs of policymakers and businesses.
The company has developed and validated its science and technology through international deployments, partnerships with leading scientific institutions, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and deep collaboration with both the public and private sectors. Aclima holds some of the earliest patents in this space, for networked, wearable and mobile air quality sensing and associated methodologies.
Aclima was recognized as a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, was named one of the prestigious Global Cleantech 100 companies, and our CEO Davida Herzl has been named one of Fast Company’s 100 Most Creative People in Business. The company is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. For more information, visit www.aclima.io.
About the Software Team
The software team at Aclima works across the technology stack. Our hardware and firmware engineers design and build our data collection platform, while our technical operations team fabricates technology and maintains and operates our instruments in cities across the world. The software team integrates the work across these disciplines and more. By being part of the software team, you can accelerate and amplify the efforts of everyone on the team as well as our customers.
The software team is responsible for running data ingestion, databases, data analysis systems, and for serving that data to our interfaces and product teams. Additionally, we support teams inside Aclima, building internal tooling that ranges from flashing firmware in the field to optimizing routing algorithms for mobile data collection. We are looking for passionate Software Engineers to expand the capacity of the team and to collaborate with data scientists, physical scientists, hardware engineers, and designers in a fast-paced, purpose-driven atmosphere with flexible hours and competitive perks.
Our stack includes: Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery, PubSub, DataFlow, CloudSQL, GCS), Python (Flask), ElasticSearch, MapBox, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, Git, Go, React, Redis, Pandas.
You will be responsible for building tooling and infrastructure to enable more rapid iteration on our data collection and serving objectives. Projects could include: working on a tool that routes drivers in the field to optimize data collection, based on environmental and traffic data; introducing and migrating to data tooling which supports a DAG of data jobs; or working to scale services that present data to our teams and customers. You will take projects from concept to production, operating independently at all levels of the stack.
You will communicate with fellow engineers and non-technical stakeholders to clearly convey technical decisions and concepts, as well as to solicit and implement user feedback. You may need to learn new skills such as our custom ETL pipeline, hardware management tooling, learn new scientific or data science concepts, communicating and building across our technical teams.
As a member of our growing software team, you will help to define and set our future direction. Depending on your interests, you could help to evolve our interview process, implement new approaches for cross-team collaboration, or champion standards for code review or continuous deployment.
- Collaborate with a diverse group of engineers, data scientists, designers and product managers to build, maintain, and improve Aclima’s data platform
- Architect scalable backend systems, services, and APIs
- Provide data engineering support to the data science team to productionize their output
- Identify gaps in automation and workflows, and build tooling to address them
- Collaborate with senior leaders to chart a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our systems
- Work closely with fellow team members to nurture a collaborative environment by encouraging an openness to feedback, learning, and iteration.
- 5+ years experience working with software engineering teams
- Demonstrated track record and success designing, building, scaling and maintaining production services
- Ability to identify and diagnose problems and then build and deploy solutions
- Demonstrated experience with overseeing and deploying new technologies and approaches
- Desire for continuous learning of new technologies, languages, and platforms
- Deep knowledge of Python and Flask
- Familiarity with cloud environments, especially Google Cloud Platform, and Docker/k8s
- Knowledge of data processing systems, e.g. Airflow or Google Dataflow
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bonus points for: Experience with embedded systems and firmware
Please know that you can be a great candidate even if you don't have everything we've described above. You might also possess important skills and experience we haven't considered. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself (especially in your cover letter- this is where you can really shine).
Equal Employment Opportunity
Aclima is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We're taking steps to meet that goal, and have proudly made the Kapor Capital Founders' Commitment. Aclima provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aclima complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
Full-time position only. Out of area candidates will be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
Aside from the deep fulfillment of working alongside world-class colleagues to make a positive impact in people’s lives, and improve planetary and public health, Aclima offers competitive compensation, equity potential, and excellent benefits. Benefits include medical/dental/vision/Life/LTD, 401K, commuter and wellness credits, company events, and an extraordinary culture.
Learn More About Aclima
- Driving Science: Mapping Air Pollution in Oakland - Aclima blog
- The High-Res Future of Anti-Pollution Tech - Google blog
- Getting Hyper-Local: Mapping Street Level Air Quality Across California - Google blog
- Incredibly Detailed Maps Show The Pollution From California’s Fires - Fast Company
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this role. This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.