Aclima provides governments, businesses, and communities with a new class of environmental intelligence to reduce air pollution and climate-changing emissions.
Aclima was founded to deliver on its mission of protecting people and the planet by putting air pollution on the map, through an entirely new approach to environmental quantification and analysis. Since 2008, Aclima has been investing in extensive R&D to pioneer the science of hyperlocal air quality measurement and analysis. In parallel, we’ve been building the capabilities required to engage and support local communities, and deliver products that meet the unique needs of policymakers and businesses.
The company has developed and validated its science and technology through international deployments, partnerships with leading scientific institutions, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and deep collaboration with both the public and private sectors. Aclima holds some of the earliest patents in this space, for networked, wearable and mobile air quality sensing and associated methodologies.
Aclima has since raised more than $30 million in venture financing from leading investors including Social Capital, Radicle Impact, Schmidt Family Foundation, Emerson Collective, Rethink Impact, Plum Alley, First Philippine Holdings, and Kapor Capital.
Aclima was recognized as a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, was named one of the prestigious Global Cleantech 100 companies, and our CEO Davida Herzl has been named one of Fast Company’s 100 Most Creative People in Business. The company is headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
For more information, visit www.aclima.io.
- Develop various statistical metrics and methods to characterize multiple hyperlocal air pollution and environmental risks based on our measurement data
- Hypothesis testing with spatiotemporal data
- Quantify uncertainty using simulations or models
- Investigate sources of error and the propagation of error
- Apply a variety of statistical and machine learning techniques
- Partner with software engineers, data scientists, scientists to develop platform products for customer-facing use
- Be a statistical consultant for cross-functional partners and inform decision-making by effective communication of quantitative information
- Collaborate with atmospheric scientists, hardware engineers, and software developers to build cutting-edge tools to tackle air pollution and climate change
Based on candidate experience, the position could be at a senior level
- MSc degree in statistics, mathematics, applied mathematics, econometrics, etc.
- 3+ years of practical experience with statistical inference and developing statistical methods
- Experience with simulation studies, bootstrap techniques, hypothesis testing, and experiment design
- Fluency in the languages of data manipulation (e.g., SQL) and statistical analysis (Python)
- Experience with bootstrap methods with correlated data, spatial data, or temporal data
- Experience with handling missing data with imputation methods or inverse probability weighting
- Experience with sequential A/B testing
- Experience with processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (Millions to Billions of rows) of data
- 2 + years of relevant industry experience
- Desire to learn new science and technology
- Ability and inclination to work in multi-disciplinary environments
- Strong analytical and verbal communication skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
Aclima provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aclima complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location. Pursuant to applicable state and municipal Fair Chance Laws and Ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We’ve proudly made the Kapor Capital Founders' Commitment.
Full-time position only. Out of area candidates will be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
Aclima employees work incredibly hard, and we work incredibly hard to thank them. We offer a competitive compensation package and excellent benefits. You’ll appreciate our challenging work environment, exceptional colleagues, strong business momentum, and the ability to make a difference. Benefits include: medical/dental/vision/Life/LTD, 401K, vacation, commuter and wellness benefit, company events and an extraordinary culture.
Learn More About Aclima
- Driving Science: Mapping Air Pollution in Oakland - Aclima blog
- The High-Res Future of Anti-Pollution Tech - Google blog
- Getting Hyper-Local: Mapping Street Level Air Quality Across California - Google blog
- Incredibly Detailed Maps Show The Pollution From California’s Fires - Fast Company