Aclima delivers hyperlocal air pollution and climate emissions intelligence at unprecedented block-by-block resolution. Our air quality mapping and analysis platform empowers governments, companies, researchers and citizens to reduce emissions and protect public health, at both the local and global level.
Based on years of R&D, Aclima’s platform combines our breakthrough mobile and stationary sensing technology, climate science and machine learning to provide next-generation diagnostics of critical air pollutants — from CO2 and methane to particulate matter. With this new layer of Environmental Intelligence, Aclima makes the invisible visible, charting a new course for improving human and planetary health.
Aclima was recognized as a 2017 World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, as well as being named one of the prestigious 2018 Global Cleantech 100 companies. Aclima is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. For more information, visit blog.aclima.io.
What you will do:
The Data Scientist will design and implement spatial and spatio-temporal statistical models of air pollutant measurements from Aclima’s sensing data. This effort will directly support product lines on our platform. Depending on skills and experience, this role can expand to other areas of data analytics, from exploratory research of air pollution sources, to the study of pollution impacts on public health. Based on candidate experience, the position could be at a senior level.
- MS or PhD in statistics, environmental sciences, applied math, or any relevant quantitative fields
- Experience with spatio-temporal models/geostatistics
- 3+ years hands-on experience with real-world environmental datasets
- Experience with Git version control, SQL, and cloud platforms
- Proficient using R, Python, or other equivalent statistics and machine learning tools
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Must be able to explain technical concepts and analysis implications clearly to a wide audience
- Capacity to thrive in multi-disciplinary settings
- Basic knowledge of air quality, atmospheric science, or meteorology or past experience in collaborating with experts on these subject matter
- Strong background in statistical inference and application
- Experience with Bayesian statistics and hierarchical modeling
- Experience with time-series data analysis
- Ability to adapt to fast-paced R&D development
- Candidates who combine spatial-temporal modeling with air quality models in novel and creative ways are particularly desirable
Compensation and Benefits:
We offer a competitive compensation package, equity potential and excellent benefits. Benefits include medical/dental/vision/Life/LTD, 401K, vacation, commuter and wellness benefit, company events and extraordinary culture.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Aclima provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aclima complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location. We made the Kapor Capital Founders' Commitment. Pursuant to applicable state and municipal Fair Chance Laws and Ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.