Aclima delivers hyperlocal air pollution and climate emissions intelligence at unprecedented block-by-block resolution. Our air quality mapping and analysis platform empowers governments, companies, researchers and citizens to reduce emissions and protect public health, at both the local and global level.
Based on years of R&D, Aclima’s platform combines our breakthrough mobile and stationary sensing technology, climate science and machine learning to provide next-generation diagnostics of critical air pollutants — from CO2 and methane to particulate matter. With this new layer of Environmental Intelligence, Aclima makes the invisible visible, charting a new course for improving human and planetary health.
Aclima was recognized as a 2017 World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, as well as being named one of the prestigious 2018 Global Cleantech 100 companies. Aclima is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. For more information, visit blog.aclima.io.
Software at Aclima
We operate across the software stack, working with our hardware and firmware engineers who design and build our data collection platform, to the technical operations team who fabricates technology and maintains and operates our instruments in cities across the world. The software team integrates work across these disciplines and more.
The software team is responsible for running data collection, data analysis systems, and for serving data to our interfaces and products. Additionally, we support teams inside Aclima, building tooling that ranges from flashing firmware in the field to optimizing routing algorithms for mobile data collection. We are looking for a passionate Senior-level Engineers to help build our software team. We seek smart and motivated people who have a strong interest in environmental science and big data. You’ll collaborate with data scientists, climatologists, hardware engineers, and designers in a fast-paced, purpose-driven atmosphere with flexible hours and competitive perks.
Our stack includes: Google Cloud Platform (BigQuery, PubSub, DataFlow, CloudSQL), Python (Flask), ElasticSearch, MapBox, Kubernetes, Docker, CircleCI, Git, Go
You will be responsible for building tooling and infrastructure to enable more rapid iteration on our data collection and serving objectives. For example, you might work on a tool that routes drivers in the field to optimize data collection, based on environmental and traffic data. Or you might be introducing and migrating to data tooling which supports a DAG of data jobs. Or you could be working to scale services that present data to our teams and customers. You will be responsible for taking projects from concept to production, and so might need to operate at all levels of the stack and be able to work independently.
You will be in communication with fellow engineers, and must be able to justify your technical decisions. However, you will also often interface with non-technical stakeholders, and must be able to communicate your approach to them, and also solicit and implement user feedback. Finally, you will interact regularly with executive staff, and be involved in strategic decision-making.
As a member of our growing software team, you will also participate in defining future direction. Depending on your direction, you could help to evolve our interview process, advocate for tooling for cross-team collaboration, or champion standards for code review or continuous deployment.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, designers and product managers to build, maintain, and improve Aclima’s data platform
- Architect scalable backend systems, services, and APIs
- Provide data engineering support to the data science team to productize their output
- Identify gaps in automation and workflows, and build tooling to address them
- Collaborate with senior leaders to chart a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our systems
- 5+ years of experience designing, building, scaling and maintaining production services
- Ability to identify and diagnose problems and then build and deploy solutions
- Experience with championing and deploying new technologies and approaches
- Desire for continuous learning of new technologies, languages, and platforms
- Bonus points for: Experience with embedded systems and firmware
- Deep knowledge of Python and Flask
- Familiarity with cloud environments, especially Google Cloud Platform, and Docker/k8s
- Knowledge of data processing systems, e.g. Airflow or Google Dataflow
Equal Employment Opportunity
Aclima provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Aclima complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location. Pursuant to applicable state and municipal Fair Chance Laws and Ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We’ve proudly made the Kapor Capital Founders' Commitment.
Full-time position only. Out of area candidates will be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
Aclima employees work incredibly hard, and we work incredibly hard to thank them. We offer a competitive compensation package and excellent benefits. You’ll appreciate our challenging work environment, exceptional colleagues, strong business momentum, and the ability to make a difference. Benefits include: medical/dental/vision/Life/LTD, 401K, vacation, commuter and wellness benefit, company events and an extraordinary culture.
Learn More About Aclima
- Driving Science: Mapping Air Pollution in Oakland - Aclima blog
- The High-Res Future of Anti-Pollution Tech - Google blog
- Getting Hyper-Local: Mapping Street Level Air Quality Across California - Google blog
- Incredibly Detailed Maps Show The Pollution From California’s Fires - Fast Company
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this role.