ABOUT THIS POSITION
Aceable is looking for a VP of Engineering to lead a stellar team that will continue to expand and deliver a best-in-class student experience coupled with a stable and secure technology platform. This leader will work transparently and collaboratively with the Product & Experience organization and other groups and leaders as needed to deliver on the Aceable strategy, roadmap, and overall mission. They will be responsible for leading technology teams, defining and building our platform and tooling strategy, and ensuring overall stability, flexibility, and future scalability.
The VP of Engineering will report to the CEO of Aceable and be a member of the Executive Team responsible for an organization of engineering, infrastructure, data, DevOps, quality engineering, and IT. This person will act as a partner to leaders across the company to foster a collaborative environment while inspiring their teams to deliver on an approved roadmap/backlog.
This leader will foster a culture of accountability and operational excellence across the entire organization while engaging, coaching, and maturing the team through activities like performance management, mentoring, talent development, team organization, communication, and reinforcement of the connection between the team's work and Aceable’s growth goals.
Additional responsibilities include monitoring and maturing our e-commerce technologies, streamlining our incident management and response process, completing our platform consolidation projects, applying new technologies to improve our student’s experience, fostering engineering excellence and productivity improvements, and leading the organization through its next inflection points.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Work with other key leaders to help drive Aceable towards a highly evolved product offering with best-in-class e-learning technologies that allow people to succeed at their life goals.
- Lead Aceable’s engineering team in partnership with the product organization as the teams jointly execute improving and scaling commerce sites, and mobile and web educational courses, which reach millions of students. You will also work with the product leader to ensure programs are delivered on time, within the cost profile, and with high quality.
- Represent the engineering team with stakeholders to ensure that engineering needs are properly addressed, and vice-versa
- Partner with the product team to shepherd desirable and beneficial AI-based features for our students and internal teams.
- Develop our talented team to support Aceable’s needs and career aspirations
- Grow and maintain a culture of high performance and accountability in accordance with Aceable’s core values
- Identify cross-team pain points and actively engage with other leaders to manage expectations, resources, and sprint timelines
- Coordinate a network of engineering mentors and training resources for the team, ensuring team members blossom in their careers
- Ensure diverse hiring practices by actively assisting in finding great candidates from varied and atypical hiring pools
- Work with the finance team to manage all service contracts, Engineering/IT/Ops financials, and appropriate resource budgets for all required technologies
- Ensure current platform consolidation, and integration work is completed while creating a playbook for future potential integration work.
- Work with service vendors to achieve the best deals for the team and platform
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 15+ years of related experience leading engineering organizations in software and technology companies that offer e-commerce B2C solutions and software and mobile B2C or B2B products.
- A stellar track record of partnering with the CPO and product organization to align on product deliverables, timelines, cost models, and other roadmap commitments.
- Experience with agile product development and life-cycle management methodologies
- Deep knowledge of e-commerce platforms, CMS, LMS, CRM, SKU Management, web monitoring, web vitals, and rapid experimentation.
- Ability to successfully manage cross-functional change through one's own unique and proven toolset.
- The ability to manage, secure and optimize our end-to-end cloud infrastructure
- A keen understanding and ability to fully manage our internal Aceable IT needs
- A proven track record with modern deployment methodologies such as CI/CD
- Experience building, managing, and optimizing talented engineering teams
- Ability to ensure healthy communication and processes between engineering teams and stakeholder organizations
- Superb analytical skills; ability to translate complex business issues into clear goals and measure against those goals
- Experience with quality assurance strategies and success metrics
- Ability to empower other leaders and managers to perform their roles by securing resources, eliminating obstacles, and providing guidance, advice, and mentorship
- Ability to meet engineering recruitment goals as they arise
- Detail-oriented with excellent presentation and communication skills
- Established record of delivering impactful software, solutions and experiences
- Effective and creative problem solver
- Empathy for our students and the people on your team
- Active listening and influential speaking skills
- Curiosity, humility, and a passion for lifelong learning
Aceable is a mobile education platform designed to create affordable, engaging, and convenient online courses available across mobile devices. Built by former teachers, NASA engineers, and those passionate about education, our team is obsessed with helping people reach their life goals and milestones through online certification.
After launching our first mobile app to provide accredited driver's ed courses, Aceable expanded into real estate education and most recently entered into healthcare education. Aceable serves hundreds of thousands of students per month, but we need your help to tackle our vision of serving millions of students per month!
Aceable has been awarded as one of the Best Places to Work in Austin for multiple years running by numerous entities, such as the Austin Business Journal, BuiltInAustin, and EqualOcean. We actively work to foster a creative, collaborative, and diverse culture whose overall mission is to impact as many students' lives as possible.
ABOUT YOUR NEW TEAM
The Aceable Engineering Team cares heavily about the welfare of our peers, the quality of our product, and our student’s experience. We come from a variety of backgrounds, thrive on collaboration and respect, and work with each other daily to do our best work. We ask the same of any new hire and are excited to see what creative ideas, viewpoints, and processes each new engineer brings to the team.
- Join one of Austin's Best Places to Work in 2022
- Competitive total rewards (base salary + bonus/stock options, if applicable)
- 401k match
- Robust medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Generous paid time off programs + 19 paid holidays per year
- Flexible work schedule
- Wellness programs
- Free access to LinkedIn Learning
- Our own space on the top floor of a downtown Austin building with free parking
- Weekly lunch, a fully stocked fridge, and plentiful snacks
- Company events and activities (holiday events, happy hours, volunteering)
- #PursueGrowth Reimbursement ($500 per year for full-time employees)
- Free Roadside Assistance subscription
- Passionate teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- NOTE: Our team is currently working in a hybrid work environment with flexibility to work in office or remote based on role/department
At Aceable we celebrate and support all differences. Aceable is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital, disability, and veteran status. Even if you don't think you meet every qualification listed, we'd love to review your application!
Aceable is able to hire in the following states: California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, and Washington.