ABOUT THIS POSITION
Aceable is looking for a head of our software engineering organization to lead a world class team to deliver a best in class technology platform and product experience. This leader will be responsible for defining and building out platform strategy to continue to ensure competitive advantage, but will also lead execution excellence across development, architecture, agility, and test. Working transparently and collaboratively with the Product, Marketing, Content, and Customer Experience organizations, the Head of Engineering will report to the President of Aceable and be a member of the Executive Team.
As the Head of Engineering, you will be responsible for an organization made up of back end, front end, mobile, API, and full stack engineers in addition to the quality assurance team. You will act as a partner to leaders across the company to foster a collaborative environment and focus on delivering business value from your teams.
You will also focus on building, engaging, and growing the team through activities like recruiting, performance management, mentoring, talent development, team organization, and communication and reinforcement of the connection between the team's work and Aceable’s goals.
Additional responsibilities include leading, accelerating, and managing positive change as we scale, grow, and improve our technology platforms and infrastructure; foster engineering excellence as well as productivity improvements; and lead the organization through rapid growth (both through M&A and organic).
Aceable is a mobile education platform that focuses on creating affordable, engaging, and convenient online courses available across all of your mobile devices. Built by former teachers, NASA engineers, and those passionate about education, the Austin-based team is obsessed with helping people reach life goals and milestones through online certification.
After launching its first mobile app to provide accredited driver's ed courses, Aceable expanded into real estate education and is quickly becoming one of the leading online real estate schools in the U.S. To date, Aceable touts more than 20 million students and counting. The team is proud of the hundred thousand plus students we're adding to the Aceable family per month. We're only getting started, and we need your help to get us to our vision of millions of students per month.
Aceable was named winner of the Austin Chamber of Commerce’s Austin A-List for the Hottest Growing Startup in 2017 and has been awarded as one of the Best Places to Work in Austin for multiple years running by numerous entities, such as the Austin Business Journal, BuiltInAustin, and EqualOcean. We actively work to foster a creative, collaborative, and diverse culture whose overall mission is to impact as many student-lives as possible.
ABOUT YOUR NEW TEAM
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Lead Aceable’s engineering team as it defines and executes on growing and scaling our mobile and web educational courses to millions of students (a 10x increase) while delivering on cost, timeline, and quality goals.
- Lead engineering and platform integration work from diligence through integration for each new acquisition we undertake.
- Represent the engineering team with stakeholders in order to ensure that engineering needs are properly addressed, and vice-versa
- Evolve an engineering org that is always able to attract and retain the best talent
- Grown and maintain a culture of high performance and accountability while staying true to Aceable’s core values
- Identify cross team pain points and actively engage with other leaders to manage expectations, resources, and sprint timelines
- Lead Aceable towards a highly evolved product offering with best-in-class e-learning technologies that allow people to truly succeed at their life goals
- Coordinate a network of engineering mentors and training resources for the team, ensuring team members blossom in their careers
- Ensure diverse hiring practices by actively assisting in finding great candidates from varied and atypical hiring pools
- Work with finance team to manage all service contracts, engineering financials, and appropriate resource budgets for all servers, software, and hardware
- Work with service vendors to achieve the best deals for the team and platform
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 15+ years related experience leading engineering organizations in software companies offering cloud based web and native mobile solutions
- Experience with agile product development and life-cycle management methodologies
- Experience building, managing, and scaling talented engineering teams
- Strong team-player with proven ability to work effectively with and influence product, marketing, business development, and customer experience
- Ability to ensure healthy communication and processes between engineering teams and stakeholder organizations
- Superb analytical skills; ability to translate complex business issues into clear goals and measure against those goals.
- Experienced with quality assurance strategies
- Ability to effectively balance the needs of a dynamic product roadmap
- Ability to empower leads and managers to perform their duties by securing resources, eliminating obstacles, and providing guidance, advice, and mentorship
- Ability to meet engineering recruitment goals, and to ensure that recruitment resources are made available to leads and managers
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Established record of driving market adoption
- Effective and creative problem solver
- Empathy for our customers and the people on your team
- Active listening and influential speaking skills
- Curiosity, humility, and a passion for lifelong learning
- Time spent as a developer, scrum master, or product owner on an engineering team
- Join one of Austin's Best Places to Work in 2021
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Generous time off programs
- Flexible work schedule
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Our own space on the top floor of a downtown building
- A team meal every week
- Fully stocked drink fridges and snacks + cold brew coffee on tap
- Company events & activities (Holiday events, happy hours, quarterly volunteering)
- Free parking spot downtown in our garage 24/7 or a monthly transportation stipend
- Education stipend ($500/year/employee)
- Free Roadside Assistance subscription
- Relocation assistance
- NOTE: Our team is currently remote due to Covid-19 and we have some awesome virtual perks that come with it (trivia, karaoke, bingo, happy hours, lunch & learns, and more)
At Aceable we celebrate and support all differences. Aceable is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital, disability, and veteran status.