AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smart phones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, smart TVs and appliances, as well as traditional media. AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites, including wallstreetjournal.com, CBS News, and The New York Times. AccuWeather is looking for a Senior Mobile Android Developer to join our team! This position will work out of our NYC office.
Who You Are
The Senior Android Developer works as a dedicated member of AccuWeather’s Enterprise Solutions team developing SkyGuard Mobile, an innovative app to enable the delivery and rapid use of the world’s best and most actionable weather warnings to Android devices. AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions unique products such as SkyGuard deliver real-time actionable information to businesses to help them proactively plan and respond to extreme weather including tornadoes, dangerous thunderstorms, flash floods, ice storms and blizzards. These unique solutions improve safety, reduce weather related risks and increase profitability for over 250 of the Fortune 500 and thousands of additional clients.
This position will serve as the technical engineering lead on the development and continual enhancement of the new Android application – working as part of a dedicated agile team alongside product managers, designers and meteorologists. This person will be well-versed in building applications from the ground up and have a passion for building useful applications that delight customers.
What You Will Be Doing
- Develop advanced applications for the Android platform
- Work closely with Product Management to collaborate on requirements and recommended implementations
- Provides expert guidance to product managers and participates as a key functional team member as part of the integrated development team
- Work closely with the QA resources to test, troubleshoot, resolve, and release production applications
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features
- Work with a variety of APIs to access critical data for integration into the app
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency
- Update software to meet evolving and changing market and technical advances
- Work closely with other developers building the same core capabilities into an iOS app to identify common processes to streamline development
- Other duties as assigned
Experience We Are Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years in relevant work experience.
- 5+ years of object-oriented software development experience (Java, C#, Objective-C), with minimum 4 years Java experience
- 5+ years building Android applications.
- Experience in using private or public API to integrate with mobile applications
- General understanding of good UI practices and creating high-performance mobile application experiences.
- Knowledge of Java and Android internals, such as multi-threading, memory management and caching
- Solid understanding of Android power management
- Experience with unit testing and Android test automation
- Experience working in agile teams and process
- Strong communicator and highly organized
- Ability to work autonomously, as a member of a cross-functional team or leading a team
- Must be organized, detail-oriented and have the ability to multitask
- Interest and proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment under changing and strict deadlines
- Ability to work well with others throughout AccuWeather, clients, partners, and vendors
- Commercial Android development experience with published examples of mobile applications
- Experience with source code control systems (e.g. GIT)
- Passion for technology industry and everything involved with it
AccuWeather is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer