Job Title: Network Operations Center Technician
Location: State College, PA
Reports To: Senior, Systems Manager
AccuWeather is recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved more than 10,000 thousands lives, prevented 100,000 injuries, and saved tens of billions of dollars in property damage.
With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them better plan their activities and get more out of their day and keep their families safer through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as radio, television, newspapers, digital out-of-home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and further serves more than half the Fortune 100 companies and thousands of businesses and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
The Network Operations Center Technician assumes responsibility for the monitoring of all AccuWeather’s critical systems. They provide Level II technical support and customer service duties for both internal and external company clients and products. They maintain communications with appropriate personnel to provide escalation and notification of system anomalies. This position is a third shift (12am-8am) position with some second shift (4pm-12am) or first shift ( 8am-4pm )work as required and during training. These work shifts are to cover AccuWeather’s 24x7x365 support model, which includes weekends, holidays, and overnights. Assigned shifts may occasionally change. On-site work is required, but the team manager may allow remote work as determined by business needs. When working remotely, staff members must maintain the ability to report to the corporate headquarters within 1 hour in case of emergencies, planned work, or events.
Monitoring, maintenance, diagnostics and repair of AccuWeather internal computer equipment in the computer room and at user workstations, as well as support client interaction with computer room systems and downloading of client products.
- Coordinate all modifications and additions to AccuWeather’s computer products and applications with Developers and Support Staff, as well as upgrades and installations of computer room hardware.
- Follow pre-defined escalation and notification procedures.
- Implement new technologies and roll-out new products and systems in coordination with other Technical Support staff.
- Performs trend analysis on monitoring alarms, incident reports and service tickets, to resolve identified issues.
- Maintains computer room installation and configuration standards and coordinates retroactive implementation of those standards.
- Provide technical guidance on operational issues affecting AccuWeather’s key production areas.
- Perform scheduled computer room activities including regular equipment checks, testing exercise, maintenance of computer equipment and repairs on equipment.
- Maintain channels of communication with Task Managers and Shift Supervisors to ensure prompt technical support of any and all computer related problems.
- Provide regular and accurate updates to Shift Supervisor on identified system anomalies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two-year degree or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- In-depth experience and troubleshooting skills with various operating systems including MS Windows Windows7, 8, 8.1, 10, 11 Windows Server 2012 R2/2016, 2019, 2022, Active Directory, IIS, Mac OS 10.x/11,12, 13, and 14.
- Basic knowledge of Linux/UNIX including Redhat 8 and 9
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP and associated applications and basic knowledge of network transport protocols
- Experience in diagnosing, installing and troubleshooting computer hardware components.
- Conceptual knowledge of communication ports on and between multiple, differing operating systems and computer architectures.
- Programming knowledge and debugging ability
- Project management capabilities
- Exceptional customer communications skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to develop a strong working knowledge of AccuWeather products and systems.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently build and maintain strong working relationships with representatives from other departments.
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency, both in communicating technical issues and resolving them
- Must have advanced knowledge and experience with MS Office computer applications (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds of gross weight.
- Must be able to type with a standard keyboard, view the contents of a standard computer monitor, and operate a three button computer mouse.
- Must be able to work while standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to effectively work under desks.
- Must be able to climb and work from an 8’ ladder.
- Must be able to work within small spaces such as data closets and computer room aisles.
- Comprehensive healthcare and dental benefits.
- 401(k) retirement plan with 50% company match.
- A collaborative work environment
Commitment to Diversity:
AccuWeather is committed to diversity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. We are an equal-opportunity employer.
If you are a highly motivated, organized, and dynamic professional with the skills and experience to excel in this role, we invite you to join our team and make a significant impact on our organization's success.