Corporate Communications Team
Hiring Manager: Amy Jane Finnerty, Head of Corporate Communications
Job Description: Public Relations Manager
For over 60 years, AccuWeather has refined the art and science of weather prediction to help save lives, protect property, and help people make the best weather-impacted decisions. The AccuWeather corporate communications team currently has an exciting opportunity for a talented PR professional to join us in the role of Public Relations Manager, focusing on weather news. The ideal candidate thrives on breaking news and strategic media relations, and will partner with AccuWeather’s team of expert meteorologists to ensure that journalists get the important weather and climate information they need, when they need it.
This position reports to the VP, Head of Corporate Communications and works closely with the meteorology/forecasting and news teams. This is a hybrid role and may be located in either the AccuWeather New York City office or State College, PA headquarters. (If based in NY, occasional travel to State College, PA will be required.)
- Manage PR and media relations activities for AccuWeather and our expert meteorologists, including seasonal forecasts, severe weather alerts, and other breaking weather news.
- Regularly monitor a wide variety media sources to keep up with the latest news, analyze what weather-related topics are being covered, and find creative ways to make AccuWeather and our experts part of the story.
- Create strategic communications materials for news media, including media alerts, press releases, biographies, press kits, scripts, talking points, and other content as needed. Control the quality of messaging in all written materials to ensure the best, most up-to-date, and approved information and language is utilized.
- Conduct ongoing media research and press list curation/maintenance ensure AccuWeather is reaching the right journalists with the weather and climate stories that are most relevant to them.
- Monitor AccuWeather’s “media hotline” and manage the interview request process in partnership with the meteorology/forecasting team.
- Collaborate with the AccuWeather online and TV news teams to coordinate editorial calendars and news release timing.
- Manage all AccuWeather Corporate Communications systems, including the Cision PR Platform, media tracking/analysis/reporting, the “AccuWeather In The News” Slack channel, etc.
- Manage and expand the AccuWeather.com corporate newsroom.
- Assist with B2B-focused AccuWeather social media (LinkedIn, etc.) to amplify key company news and media coverage.
- Collaborate with the Head of Corporate Communications, Director of Communications, and external PR agencies on additional projects as needed.
- Minimum of 4 years demonstrated experience in corporate communications, public relations experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, or related field.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills – newswriting and editing experience required.
- Must be detail-oriented, with the ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work well under tight and/or shifting deadlines.
- Interest in weather and climate strongly preferred, intellectual curiosity required.
- A passion for breaking news and ensuring that journalists get the information they need quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with the media.
- Must be collaborative and enjoy working together with a variety of internal team members to “get the job done.”
- Working knowledge of the Cision PR Platform and its media distribution, tracking, insights, and analytics tools.
- Pro-Oxford Comma.
- Must demonstrate a high degree of integrity, confidentiality, and professionalism.
AccuWeather recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries, and saved tens of billions of dollars in property damage.
Today, AccuWeather is the most recognized and most used source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, known to billions, and is proven and verified to be the most accurate. Digitally, AccuWeather is the #1 weather destination in the world and one of the top destination sites that exist globally.
AccuWeather forecasts appear on digital signage, in 700 newspapers, are heard on over 400 radio stations and viewed on 100 television stations. The AccuWeather Network reaches 35 million households, and its AccuWeather NOW streaming services is available to more than 200 million active users on many platforms, including Roku, Xumo, Red Box, LG, Amazon, and Freevee.
AccuWeather For Business serves more than half of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of other businesses and government agencies globally who pay for the most accurate weather forecasts from any source. AccuWeather’s story is one of a fanatical dedication to Superior Accuracy™, detail, creativity, innovation. Entrepreneurship, service, and the loyalty and commitment of hundreds of people who have joined AccuWeather’s center of excellence, including many who have dedicated their entire careers to AccuWeather.
Dr. Joel Myers, Founder and Executive Chairman, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and has been recognized as one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entertainment.
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.