AccuWeather provides hourly forecasts worldwide, with customized content and engaging video presentations available on smart phones, tablets, wired and mobile internet sites, smart TVs and appliances, as well as traditional media. AccuWeather also delivers a wide range of highly-customized enterprise solutions to media, business, government, and institutions, as well as news and weather content and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites, including wallstreetjournal.com, CBS News, and The New York Times. AccuWeather is looking for a Multimedia Journalist to join our team! This position will work out of our Headquarters office in State College, PA.
Who You Are
- You are a creative thinker who is constantly thinking outside the box.
- You immerse yourself in the generation of unique, compelling story and video ideas.
- You enjoy researching news stories and interviewing internal and external experts.
- You excel at writing news stories under the pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Participate in generation of unique, compelling weather-related story ideas.
- Follow trending topics on social networking, including Google, Twitter and Facebook for story ideas and headlines that optimize AccuWeather.com’s reach in search engine optimization.
- Write accurate stories that are well researched and attributed to necessary sources and update as necessary.
- Interview proper sources to enhance story content.
- Respond quickly to breaking news and weather situations, contributing to the news team's coverage of the event.
- Creatively use social media to send out breaking/interesting weather information and links to AccuWeather.com news stories.
- Ensure that any controversial stories assigned are reviewed by the information manager, who may refer the story to senior management for review.
Experience We Are Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or a related communications field required.
- 2-3 years of work experience required.
- Demonstrated journalism/media/social media experience.
- Must have strong writing skills and excellent knowledge of AP style.
- Must have knowledge and experience using Facebook, Twitter (experience using HootSuites preferred) and emerging social media platforms.
- Must be able to develop an understanding of basic scientific and meteorological concepts.
- Must be self-motivated, team-oriented and work well under pressure.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be proactive in seeking out interviews to enhance story content.
- Basic non-linear video editing skills are preferred.
- Basic HTML skills are preferred.
Skills We Are Looking For
- Sense of urgency. You act with the realization that efficiency is vital to success.
- A team player. You have the ability to consistently build and maintain strong working relationships with your direct teammates as well as co-workers throughout AccuWeather.
- Communication. You have the ability to exchange information, both verbal and non-verbal, to anyone. You have solid speaking and writing skills. Your communication style ensures that all the organizational goals are achieved.
- Passion. You have a strong excitement and love for journalism. You pride yourself on being efficient at your job.
AccuWeather is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.