AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, and other offices around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their lives and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, and the 24/7 AccuWeather Network.
Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites. Among AccuWeather’s many innovative and award-winning features free to the public are MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy™. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of Fortune 500 companies and thousands of businesses globally.
The Barons Specialist is the “AccuWeather Baron Lynx expert”, answering all questions and troubleshooting technical issues related to the Baron Lynx network of computers, as well as any other weather graphics used on the AccuWeather Network and on AccuWeather.com digital properties. This position can either work at our Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania, or remotely.
While we are considering remote candidates, in the United States, AccuWeather has the ability to hire team members in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI and WY.
- Mentor and train Weather Graphics Operations Specialists in creating captivating weather graphics
- Train new production team members on creating and designing weather graphics and operating the Baron Lynx weather graphic machines.
- Train new broadcast meteorologists to confidently use and navigate Baron Lynx to create and stack shows
- Using graphic tools provided, design and invent new, breakthrough weather graphics for AccuWeather products, clients, and partners that captivate and better communicate weather risks.
- Respond to and troubleshoot all technical difficulties involved with Baron Lynx
- Oversee the maintenance of the weather graphics computer network in conjunction with the Video Engineering team
- Synchronize with various departments at AccuWeather to maintain and advance the integration of Baron Lynx data and software with other AccuWeather products and services.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with Baron Weather Systems
- Represent the company respectfully at any conference(s) required of you, adhering to all AccuWeather policies and expectations
- Work with AccuWeather Meteorologists, broadcasters and producers to prepare accurate weather graphics utilizing AccuWeather’s consensus forecast
- Generate daily content under deadline pressure
- Ability to work in the fast-paced and demanding environment of live television
- Adhere to all department policies
- Other duties as assigned
- A four-year degree in Meteorology – or equivalent – is required with a minimum three years full-time experience in weather graphics production in a multi-platform, live news environment.
- Exceptional understanding and mastery of Baron Lynx is required
- Demonstrated ability to train team members on Baron Lynx
- Must be a strategic thinker, reliable mentor, and team player with a burning passion for weather communication
- Must have strong project management skills and experience, as well as superior asset management planning and execution skills.
- Previous experience with computer coding language (such as Python, HTML)
- Ability to effectively communicate with team members and upper management
- Superior Customer Service skills are required
- Regular and predictable attendance is required for this role
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, holidays and overnights if needed to fill in
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.