State College, PA
Reporting directly to the CFO, the Controller would be responsible for all financial management processes and systems as it relates to AccuWeather, Inc. and its affiliates’ tax requirements.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Report directly to the CFO on all accounting and financial matters.
- Responsible for all financial input and output of the accounting and financial reporting systems for AccuWeather, Inc. and all related subsidiaries and international entities.
- Responsible for maintaining relationships with the Company’s tax and audit firms.
- Responsible for the financial audit and any other audits including sales and use tax audits, 401k audits, workman’s comp audits.
- Responsible for Company’s application of US GAAP, including adoption of new guidance to the Company’s operation, and application of existing guidance to complex transactions.
- Oversee the tax compliance program and system, including international tax compliance requirements.
- Oversee all accounting and reporting systems to deliver financial reports to all managers and executives with P&L responsibility.
- Design and maintain the financial reporting system
- Design and maintain the accounting system and the chart of accounts and dimension methodology
- Design and maintain SharePoint and other financial reporting delivery mechanisms to the managers
- Oversee all the financial management meetings with different LOB and Department Managers
- Liaise with Department Heads on required financial analysis
- Ensure that all accounting policies and procedures are up-to-date and compliant each month in accordance with GAAP and any other regulatory requirements.
- Implement and regulate all internal control policies and procedures for the financial management system.
- Responsible for executing and implementing any strategic elements and the related reporting to include debt arrangements, debt compliance, acquisition integrations, financial system implementations, footnote disclosures, financial system operations, and planning and budgeting.
- Alert the CFO regarding any non-compliance or out-of-budget issues that are material to the function of the company.
- Responsible for managing and reporting on updated financial forecasts
- Manage the Company’s Financing, including cash flow forecasts, and management of debt as applicable.
- Manage, oversee and mentor the Assistant Controller for all daily, monthly, and annually financial operation requirements.
- Oversee the completeness of the monthly close process and procedures.
- Review the analytics of the monthly close, including variances of budget to actual and actual to actual.
- Review the reporting for any material or significant transactions
- Discuss any GAAP related issues that affect the monthly reporting
- Responsible for tax planning, including EOY tax computations, dividend and safe harbor calculations, and the tax compliance calendar.
- Build and Manage FP&A Function
- Provide guidance on all financial metrics, analysis, and input required to develop financial reporting
- Assist in reviewing the monthly reporting package
- Assist in any narratives describing monthly activity
- Develop processes for Investment prioritization based on ROI
- Ad hoc reporting and tasks as related to the ownership, CFO, and the Executive team for specialized requests around business planning, specialized reporting, and tax compliance.
- Manage any requirements for cost savings with the Director of Procurement.
- Report on all cost savings initiatives.
BACKGROUND AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or a combination of education and experience is required;
- 7-10+ years of public accounting or corporate accounting experience;
- Certified Public Accountant designation required
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP
- Knowledge of accounting/ERP systems
- Ability to manage and oversee multiple projects simultaneously;
- Have an ability to manage and analyze departmental financial reports;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word are required;
- Must be detail oriented and capable of handling a large volume of data;
- Should have strong customer service skills (customers being employees);
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential for this position;
AccuWeather’s CEO, Founder & Chairman – Dr. Joel N. Myers
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of AccuWeather, has been recognized in Entrepreneur Magazine’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs book as one of the greatest entrepreneurs in American history. He is a proven visionary leader, founding AccuWeather in 1962 and successfully establishing it as the largest and fastest-growing weather media company as well as a global leader in weather-related data, business, and predictive analytics.
Dr. Myers is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology” and the nation’s most respected authority on the business of meteorology, having been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times. He received the American Meteorological Society’s 2018 Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Advancement of Applied Meteorology and the National Weather Association’s 2017 Lifetime Achievement Award, in addition to numerous other accolades, and he has published papers in numerous leading scientific journals, including Scientific American and The Journal of Applied Meteorology as well as in the American Academy of Engineers, The Bridge. He has made hundreds of TV appearances, including on CNBC, FOX and FOX Business News. His comments and quotes have been included on the pages of TIME, Business Week, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and thousands of other publications and he has appeared in a TEDx Talk.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.