Who We Need & What You’ll Do
The National MultiMedia Journalist/Weather News Reporter (MMJ) will produce innovative, unique stories that can captivate audiences and be delivered on a daily basis. These stories will frequently be reported from locations where severe weather is occurring or after. This includes being live in the field, for all AccuWeather properties, including the AccuWeather Television Network. You will be required to move quickly to identify and follow stories inside and outside your region.
Who We Are
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
- Generate news stories based on the weather and assignments that can connect with a national audience
- Pitch content ideas and their implementation strategies to Field Supervisor and Executive Producer on a regular basis
- Arrange interviews with individuals, authorities and agencies to gather information for news items
- Write accurate and informative scripts, prepare and present news reports under deadline pressure
- Travel, averaging 50% , to the location of weather news stories across the United States
- Present live and recorded reports on breaking weather news stories, sometimes in challenging situations
- Exercise strong editorial judgment and adhere to company’s standards and practices
- Demonstrate teamwork by working cooperatively with videographers, producers and other team members
- Ability to work as a solo multimedia journalist demonstrated knowledge of standard field camera equipment and able to edit using Adobe Premiere software.
- General understanding of video delivery systems (FTP, GOOGLE DRIVE, etc.)
- Contribute to company’s digital and social media platforms on a daily basis
- Frequently transport camera gear and other equipment weighing 50 pounds or more
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA or BS from accredited university in journalism, communications and/or meteorology preferred
- Minimum of 4 years as a field reporter/anchor/mmj
- Proven ability to enterprise news stories and deliver them in an informative and engaging fashion
- Extensive live reporting experience demonstrating creativity doing a variety of stories
- Experience in producing and editing content for digital media and/or network tv
- Ability to work independently or within a team in challenging situations
- Demonstrated ability to shoot and edit video at a network level
- Must be adept at using social media
- While a meteorology degree is not required, a solid knowledge and awareness of atmospheric science and weather impacts is extremely beneficial.
- Must have valid driver’s license in state of residency
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather's innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.